Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 to a 350 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RATAH, Sep 20, 2002.

1. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Hello all
    1985 K5 Blazer
    350 with ellderbroch intake,4 barrel,
    quatdrajet,flowteck headers
    im gonna swap the 700r4 trans 208 case
    to a 350 trans 205 case
    any info you can give me
    such as drive shafts
    cross meber, linkage,vacum ect,
    also what should the converter stall be it has a 3000rpm stall im sure thats to much for my stock 350
    Thankyou all for any help and info

2. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Please Help

3. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Well to me it sounds obvious but then again I've been doing stuff like this for years... The 350 is shorter and mounts in a different position so youll have to redrill the crossmember mounts, get a longer rear driveshaft and shorten the front. You may need to get another mount for the TV cable on the carb side and adjust the position of the shift linkage. It dont look like too bad a swap but why are you ditching the 700R?

4. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Thankyou
    im ditching the 700 because
    im on my 2nd 1,
    il have 2 for sale in a few weeks
    1 is working fine
    the other im not sure about but it was rebiult,
    il also have the 208 case and adapter for sale
    or the trans with adapter and case
    any idea what these items are worth?
    Thanks again

5. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

I had an 84 Sub with the same swap as you are talking about. It worked because there was a spacer added to the rear of the TH350 to make up for the difference in length.
    Also I am interested in the 700R4, so give me a ring when you decidee to sell.
    David

6. mitymouse

mitymouse Registered Member

I also did the conversion I still have the 208 trans case and I used the adapter plate that goes between the trans and the tail shaft Thae tranny will have to be built for this due to the fact you will have to have a longer output shaft in the trans its like $75.00 for the adapter and around 125.00 for the shaft whole deal cost me $600.00
    2500 stall With balloning plates,shift kit, shaft, fresh tranny,external cooler, I had my own adapter plate. hope this helps

7. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

How happy are you with the swap? I have a 700r4 that I plan to replace with either an sm465 manual or a 350. I haven't decided yet. I use mine as a daily driver, but also do weekly or biweekly mild offroad riding to go fishing, and I need something dependable.

8. mitymouse

I also drive mine everyday,But see very limited highway miles, it will feel a little sluggish down low as you are losing the lower end first gear ratio you had with the 700r4 However you can compensate that with gearing I still have the damn 308's in mine and can feel it,But the 456 will be alot better.

9. mitymouse

we tried multiple times to get a 700 to hold up in our drag cars it can be done only its twice or better the cost. Ask yourself how often do you use that overdrive now and would you really miss it?

10. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I commute 20 miles each way, but don't get on the highway much. I do occaisionally (3 or 4 times a year) take it on long trips which is why I liked the 700r4 until now. I changed the stock tires out for 33's and my rpm's are too low. (I've got 3.08's until I do my 1 ton conversion) I'm thinking seriously about the sm456. I know I've seen several in the salvage yards, but haven't taken the time to check them out yet.
    Thanks

11. mitymouse

well either way good luck to you let me know if I can help, personal I love auto. trans I have puked too many in our drag cars.....308s suck I still need to do my gear swap but am waiting to by my other locker then I will do em both with 456. I'm going with 12 bolts to good a deal.

12. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys,
    as soon as this 1 dies
    im putting the 350 and 205 case in