Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 to a SM465, on a Diesel?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DSLBLAZER, Feb 22, 2001.

1. DSLBLAZER

DSLBLAZER Registered Member

Has anyone ever converted an automatic diesel blazer to a manual. I have all of the parts (flywheel, clutch, pressure plate,clutchfork, linkage, pedal assembly and tranny) out of a 79 4 speed blazer that had a 350. Will the flywheel off the 79 350 work on my 6.2L diesel? I know diesels used different flywheels, but this one is new and I would like to use it, if I can. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I,m watching this thread. I plan on doing the same thing once I ante up for the doubler (can't afford to lengthen/shorten the drive shafts twice ;-) Is that a manual linkage clutch pedal from a '79? We gotta check to see if the 6.2 has a pivot boss cast in it. Pretty sure it's a No-Go on using a 350 fly wheel.

3. DSLBLAZER

Yes DieselDan, it is manual linkage and it looks like there is a pivot boss cast on the engine above the oil filter, (this could go to something else though?) Is the flywheel a different size or does it just have to be for a diesel? Did GM ever make a 4 speed 6.2 Blazer?

4. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yup. GM made the auto T-700, but I think you're talking about a manual. We used to have a C30 Dually with a 6.2L and an SM465 4-speed. It had that granny low, which was great for low speed towing, but with that 1:1 fourth gear, highway speeds above 65 were truly impossible.

David
    '85 diesel burban

5. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

There are no visual differences in a 350 flywheel or a 6.2 flywheel. I recently converted my 6.2 w/granny 4 speed to a 350 w/granny 4 speed. I done some research because i wanted to use the diesel flywheel but everyone told me that they wouldn't interchange. If you are interested, i still have the flywheel from the 6.2 and would be happy to sell it for $50 plus shipping! I still have the complete engine that needs a rebuild that i will sell for $250 and you pick it up. If you or anyone is intersted e-mail me!

baldbandit@hotmail.com

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'm in the middle of dumpin my Turbo-Problematic700r for the Muncie 465 as well. Only I have a 350, so I can't help you w/ the flywheel delima. However the clucth deal I just went thru myself. If you are going mechnical, the are two pivot bosses of concern. One mounts in between the frame and the body (driverside) and the other is bolted to the bellhousing. The pivot boss that goes in between the frame and body seemed almost impossible to mount w/o removing the body. That was one of the driving factors I opted for the hydraulic clutch. If you go Hyd. GM started putting them in trucks in 1985 and I THINK they stoped using the 465 around '89. If you can find a donnor w/ the pedal brackets your in business. If not look to spend around $200 at the dealer for all the brackets including pedals, lines and resivior. Slave cylinder- $50, Clutch Master Cyl- $60. The bellhousing is around $200 (?). The mechanical pedal brackets, bellhousing, etc. will not work w/ hyd. When going w/ a donnor truck you'll have to stay w/ the same body style as the 73-87 trucks. So you'll need to focus on 1 tons or blazers.
    Anyway, I know this is a lot of info and kinda confusing. Feel free to e-mail me or IM me if you got the capability. My AOL screen name is fad2blk99. I'm usually on-line aroun 8-9pm CST. Good Luck! -Tommy

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Thanks Ag, Bald, & Fade for the insight. Maybe the flywheel will work: I gues it boils down to using a 14" 168 tooth flywheel (diesels crank hard!) and whether or not the 6.2 is internally balanced (which I think it is - ya I "should" know).

Has anyone seen/used one of those hydraulic throw-out bearing set ups. It would save my search for a slave cylinder, I could still use my bellhousing, and would be out of harm's way on the trail.

8. baldbandit

A 6.2 is externally balanced! That is why you can't use the 350 flywheel on the diesel or diesel flywheel on the 350.

baldbandit

9. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I think baldbandit is right. If you use a 350 flywheel on a 6.2 I think you risk breaking the crankshaft.

10. DSLBLAZER

Thanks guys. I found a 6.2 flywheel from an automatic to compare to the 350 flywheel. Not only is it balanced differently but the 350 flywheel has more teeth. Baldbandit, where are you located? Do you have any idea how much shipping the flywheel to Roseville CA would be? I will send you an Email when I get home tonight.

11. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know for a fact that the 6.2L is externally balanced. I took apart one about a month ago, and had to have it internally balanced at the machine shop. I say had to. The devil of engine building that sits on my left shoulder and whispers all the high cost options in my ear told me it was a "must." I guess GM thought it would cost too much to do the cool internal workup. Good luck on your project!

David
    '85 diesel burban

12. fastzilla

fastzilla Registered Member

I'm sure glad you guys had this discussion... I too am undertaking this feat. I've got everything times 2. Anybody want a 350 flywheel??? I think a new flywheel/pressure plate/ friction disc combo is close to $200 [​IMG] I have stuff to trade if anybody has the 6.2L flywheel...
    Eddie

13. baldbandit

DSLBLAZER, I live in NE Texas! I didn't recieve an e-mail from you. If you will e-mail me your zip code, will have to weight it and call and see what it would cost to ship it to you. I hasn't been resurfaced so you will need to resurface it. If you don't, it will cause a chatter.

thanks
    baldbandit@hotmail.com