Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 TO DBLR

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RDRAGE, Mar 17, 2001.

1. RDRAGE

RDRAGE 1/2 ton status

WHAT IS INVOLVED IN SETTING UP A TRUCK W/A 700R4 TO RUN A DBLR? I'VE SEE TALE SHAFTS LISTED AS BEING FROM ORD & I KNOW ADVANCE ADAPTERS MAKES A KIT TO MOUNT A 203 OR 205 BEHIND THE 700, ARE THESE THE SAME THING? IF NOT, WHAT'S THE DIFFERANCE & WHICH IS THE WAY TO GO? HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE A 700 OUTPUT SHAFT, IS IT A SHOP JOB OR CAN ANY DUMBY THAT CAN REBUILD HIS NP208 DO IT? SPECIAL TOOLS REQUIRED? THANKS MUCH!!!

www.trailrunners4x4.org

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

You have to have the output shaft from advance adapters. It will make your 700 output look like a turbo 350 and either the 203 or 205 will bolt up. This is the only modification needed to bolt up a doubler as far as the tranny is involved. The tranny has to be torn completely down to change the output shaft. It would be a good time for an overhaul. Depending on your expertise would dictate if you do it yourself.

<font color=yellow>Steve Frisbie</font color=yellow>

3. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

HI
    You don't have to have the AA kit, just a TH350 output shaft. It is a direct swap, you should be able the get one from a tranny parts house like Transtar, or a junk tranny.
    hope this helps.
    Russ V

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Russ, have you done this? I've looked at them and they weren't the same. I'll pull them out again and see what the difference was, but it seems like it was something significant.
    AA is pretty much the deal for the short output shaft. They're the only ones I know of that build one.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

5. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    No I haven't. Ever since i saw the first Doubler article in Peterson's, and several T-case swap artiles, the TH350 tail shaft has been said to swap into a TH700r4 to allow a 203 or 205 swap. I called AA a year ago and they said I could use the AA spacer and cut a 1/2 inch off the TH700 tail shaft and get the same results. I hope I haven't been spreading bad info. If anyone knows for sure please let me know.
    Thanks
    Russ V.

6. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

I was a professional transmission rebuilder and still rebuild performance chevy trans. I wanted to swap a built 700 for my 350 but didn't want to spend close to two hundred for a new output shaft. They both have the same spline count but use completely different shafts. A 700 is "basically" a 350 with overdrive but for starters the case is a little longer to fit the overdrive parts. This makes the 700 output shaft a few inches longer then the 350 shaft not including the extra shaft that sticks out of the case on a 700. The two shafts also have different clutch feed holes they are not interchangable. Most articles on output shaft swaps mean the 700 can accept a 350 style shaft not the 350 shaft. The new custom shaft is a 700 shaft cut shorter on the end to fit a 205 or 203. But wait we have more. A 700 shaft can be cut to the same external length as a 350 and will fit on a np205/203 but we have a problem. The splines on a 700 are all external on the shaft that means looking at the back of a 700 the splines on the output shaft start just after the shaft comes out of the trans. On a 350 about 1 inch of the 1 3/4 of splines on the output shaft actually are in the transmission only about 3/4 of an inch stick out. With both trans cut at the same length the 350 has 1 3/4 inch of splines the 700 will have about 1/2. Yes it will work but will not last to long. The new custom shaft has all 1 3/4 inch of splines and is allready cut to length. To make it short you need the new custom shaft.

7. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks,
    I feel like a ass. But at leasr I won't be spreading faulty info from now on. Looks like I'll put AA's kit on the list.
    Russ V.