Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 to Manual

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FergsK5, Oct 8, 2002.

1. FergsK5

FergsK5 Registered Member

Anyone know what involved in swapping a manual for a 700R4. It's an 84 K5 and im sick of 700R4 problems and expenses. What do I need and what do i have to change? Thanks.

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i did this almost exactly a year ago....time wise i spent maybe 3 full days on the swap...kinda hard to pin point how long exactly because i was doin a 1 ton swap at the same time

but list of things ya need:
    Clutch and brake pedel
    linkages or hydro clutch parts
    sm465 and what ever t case or if ya have the cash the nv4500
    clutch
    flywheel
    and aprox 3 days time

its not very difficult to do...the hardest part was trying to man handle the tranny its self into the truck..to put the pedals in you will have to remove the steering column..if workin slow...2 hours at most..took me about an hour with searchin for tools

remove old pedels

drill holes for linkage or hydro clutch...on my 88 the hydro set up was easy becase the fire wall had dimples marked where the holes needed to be to it was just a matter of drillin the holls and boltin it up

re install steering column

pull auto tranny out...remove flex plate and install the new flywheel with clutch

stab the tranny in the truck and bolt it all up and blead/adjust the clutch and you are ready to rock

i have been very happy with my manual tanny and would not go back to an auto for wheelin...go for it man...all in all i think i spent 1000.00 in the swap..not to bad considering if i would have had the auto in there i was destroying one a year and the price tag of 1700 a pop /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif..but it can be done

3. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

I did the swap as well. I enjoyed doing it. Like the previous post said, it was mostly a bolt in affair. The hardest part was getting the time all at once to do it. If you've changed a clutch you should have no problem. From the start I wanted my Jimmy to look like a factory 4 speed. I even changed the steering column, and got the reverse lights to work. e-mail is you have any questions

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I didn't realize you need a shaft bearing. This bearing goes in the crank to allow the transmission shaft to rotate so it won't break.

Don't forget this piece...

Oh yeah... th350/203 to a Hydro clutch sm465/203/205. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

if ya get one for the gasser its a brass bushing and for the diesel its a bearing...i dont know if it really makes a difference or not...

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Petersen's 4W&OR said use a diesel bearing. said it will last a lot longer than the bushing.

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ya know there is really not much point in doin the bearing one the more i think about it...ya gota figure the bushing will last just as long as the clutch...you would prob wipe out 2 clutchs before that bushing would go out....and personaly i would chagnge it regardless when ever it needs a clutch...so i am not seeing any added benifets from the bearing..not to mention the added cost /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I got rid of my 700 in '94 after 3 rebulids. Extra money spent for the NV4500 was well spent. It was WAS worth the work to get a manual trans. My '87 had the firewall dimples too which really helps locate the hyd cyl.
    Here are the parts I used to get rid of the 700R4:
    http://members.ac.net/~sg/project_PARTS_LIST.txt

Steve

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you can do all the pedal and firewall stuff and still be driving the truck with an auto to break the job up some

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

good call Chaz. i hadn't thought about it like that.