Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 to NP205 Adapter Plate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72longbed, Nov 21, 2004.

1. 72longbed

72longbed Registered Member

Hello,
    I'm new here and thought you guys would be able to help. I'm looking for the company or campanies that sell the coversion adapter plate to run my 700R4(standard length case) into a NP205 transfer case? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
    72longbed

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

You would typically use a TH350-205 adapter and use the short output shaft for the 700 from Advance Adapters (available from Offroad Design). I have heard of driveshaft clearance issue, though.

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I was looking at that very same item today! Advance adaptors #50-6900 $170.75. Page 43 in their cataloge. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifthis is for the 27 sline np205 that mated with a turbo 350. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

for the love of pete, i wish someone would make this tech a sticky... someone asks about it every other day and I have to go back and search to find the same answer over and over. sigh. anyway... the easiest way to do it is to get a factory th350-to-np205 adapter, the 27 spline 205 to go with it, and a spacer from...

A & Reds Transmission Parts
    2501 E Truman Road
    Kansas City, MO 64127
    (816) 483-7337

The part # 7Q35A and it sells for around $50.00.

pull your existing tcase and adapter, trim about 1/8" off the end of the 700r4's output shaft and from there its all bolt-up.

j

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You would typically use a TH350-205 adapter and use the short output shaft for the 700 from Advance Adapters (available from Offroad Design). I have heard of driveshaft clearance issue, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best way IMO (and how I did it) to get a "factory" look and keep the length down.

6. jekbrown

yeah, but unless you're gonna rebuild the tranny anyway, its kinda annoying to completely disassemble the thing just to insert the $150+ AA shaft. Also, some people that use that shaft have serious driveshaft clearance issues, especially if running a deep AL pan. With the $50 spacer, you can run the 205, have no tranny pan issues and you dont have to tear down your tranny either...

j

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, but unless you're gonna rebuild the tranny anyway, its kinda annoying to completely disassemble the thing just to insert the $150+ AA shaft. Also, some people that use that shaft have serious driveshaft clearance issues, especially if running a deep AL pan. With the $50 spacer, you can run the 205, have no tranny pan issues and you dont have to tear down your tranny either...

j

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC the spacer is only about 1 7/8" thick anyways, not much extra length to be worried about IMO.

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

No clearance issues here, question asked and answered /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

uhhh.. the spacer is 2" thick. I have a deep AL pan and a big HAD shaft and there is still plenty of clearance. Some people with the AA kit + smaller shaft have had clearance issues... I'm sure a search would reveal some names. In any case, I just thought I'd mention it before some guy gets the AA thing, swaps it in and then realizes that no one told him about this issue and he can't run the combo.

j

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i thought the spacer was 1.75" thick, the same spacer used when replacing a 700r4 with a th350.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    uhhh.. the spacer is 2" thick. I have a deep AL pan and a big HAD shaft and there is still plenty of clearance. Some people with the AA kit + smaller shaft have had clearance issues... I'm sure a search would reveal some names. In any case, I just thought I'd mention it before some guy gets the AA thing, swaps it in and then realizes that no one told him about this issue and he can't run the combo.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of those names. I used the AA shaft and the STOCK CV joint hit my STOCK tranny pan on my 80. I actually had a buddy of mine (tin worker), cut my stock pan at the corner and weld in a "divot" so that my driveshaft did not hit my pan. No way I would be able to run an aftermarket aluminum one.

If I were to do it again, I would definitely run the spacer!

I talked to my tranny builder and he said some people have better clearance depending on what style CV joint they use (Saginaw vs Spicer). I forget which one was better but I know my 80 had the "worse" style.

FWIW

12. 72longbed

72longbed Registered Member

700R4 mated to an NP205??

jekbrown,
    from your last Post on this subject it looks like you are tired of talking about this but, it should be made clear to the Members that the 700R4 used to mate to a TH350 adapter'ed NP205, with the 'Reds' spacer block, is a 4WD 700R4, right??

Unless I'm mistaken, if you take the tail shaft off of a 2WD 700R4 and try to adapt it to a NP205 from a TH350 truck, even with the 'Reds' spacer, the tail shaft on the 700R4 is way too long?? Yes or NO??

Thanks for clearing this up for us all,
    72longbed

13. jekbrown

yes, mine is a 4x4 tranny.

not sure, never had a 2wd 700R4. I'm sure someone else could answer that part of your question better than me.

j

14. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

The output shaft from a 2wd 700r4 is significantly longer and won't work with either method.

15. boydfoose

boydfoose Registered Member

sounds cool

16. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

It's a zombie thread!!!

AAaaaahhhhhh!! Run for the hills!!!

Or find woody harrelson for some zombie kills of the week.

Later,
    Buddy