Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 to np205?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88GLAZER, Aug 1, 2004.

1. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 84 chevy one ton for 900 bills, very exciting isnt it.. I am swaping axles and T-case I have a 88 blazer with 700r4 That was just rebuilt and beefed, and I dont know the condition of the other tranny. Did they make an adapter, or is that something I have to get for a place like advanced adapters.

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You need an NP205 from a TH350 application to fit the TH700. Once you have that, then you either need a spacer (http://www.exaxt.ca/misc.asp see th700/np203 adapter) or shorter output shaft (A/A makes one).

Is the '84 1-ton have a TH400 or manual? If its a TH400, the attached NP205 has a 32-spline input, and is an excellent candidate for Doubler project /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i run the spacer and wouldnt have it any other way. The AA shaft is nice, but it also costs more and you have to completely disassemble the tranny to get it in there too. Fine if you are going to do a rebuild anyway but sorta a waste of time/money if you aren't. Also, the spacer allows you a bit more clearance for your tranny pan. I run a deep aluminum pan on my 700r4 and have a beefy HAD driveshaft and have no clearance issues at all. Some peeps who run the AA shaft have reported their stock shafts hitting stock tranny oil pans. bad times!

j

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    i run the spacer and wouldnt have it any other way. The AA shaft is nice, but it also costs more and you have to completely disassemble the tranny to get it in there too. Fine if you are going to do a rebuild anyway but sorta a waste of time/money if you aren't. Also, the spacer allows you a bit more clearance for your tranny pan. I run a deep aluminum pan on my 700r4 and have a beefy HAD driveshaft and have no clearance issues at all. Some peeps who run the AA shaft have reported their stock shafts hitting stock tranny oil pans. bad times!

j

[/ QUOTE ]

This way also leaves you options to go back to the 208/241 should you need or want to without having to tear apart the trans again to replace the output shaft with the stock one assuming the 1.5" extra length won't kill you.

5. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

is the spacer different from the adapter?

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

... it is in addition to the adapter.

7. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

a few thing id like to note
    1.either 4 speed or 400 were 32 spline by 1984
    so ya need to trade or buy a 27 spline 205 with adapter coupler and spacer
    and still grind of aprox 1/4 inch of the tail shaft on the tranny
    2. as noted aka I Highly Recomend to use the Spacer !!!
    3. your also gonna need the special metric thread grade 8 studs so you can tie it all to gether
    4 dont forget to run a torsion bar back to the 205
    and due to the extra length its nice to go to a fixed yoke rear also
    any ?? feel free to email or pm me as i do about 4 of these conversions a year
    Best of luck 2 ya
    Randy
    R

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

could you put a doubler behind a 700r that way /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    could you use just front wheel drive with a doubler?
    (I dont know much about doublers /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)