Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 to SM465 swap is it worth it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Jan 31, 2001.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I am looking into swapping my 700r4 for a SM465 is the swap worth it? I know I would need an adapter to connect to my 208. Would i need a longer drive shaft? How about the trans cross member does that stay where it is or would it have to be moved?? I would have to get a new flywheel, wonder how much that is?? The clutch pedal sounds pretty easy to install... Just wondering if the whole thing is worth it and what all is involved?? Thanks guys..

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

To me it would be worth it. Just for the fact of not having to worry about the tranny ever again, plus I love the 6.55 to 1 first gear for wheelin![​IMG]
    I have heard that the pedal swap is the hard part of the swap.
    Consider finding a SM 465 already mated to a NP 208, try and get the cross member too. I don't think the fly wheels are too spendy, but a good clutch will set you back a few bones, don't skimp on the clutch though its a bear of a job!

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Another option would be to swap to a NV4500. That way you could retain the overdrive as well. Just a thought.

4. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

IMHO yes it is worth it the sm465 is bomb prof. why stay with the 208? why not just find one with a np205? when i was looking 4 a blazer that was what i was looking 4 i passed a few good deals up just to get the sm465np205 combo anyway thats just my .02 for what its worth

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the nv4500 is a overdrive manual tranny

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

7. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It may be more beneficial to find a donor truck with the combo you want on it so that you have every nut and bolt for the swap on hand, and when your done you can just part the truck out

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Never step in anything soft."

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

When I did the swap (granted no engine or tranny in there) for the 6.2 diesel and 700-R4, to 350, SM465, NP205, I had to use the front and rear driveshaft out of a 1976 K5, with the same combo. The front had to be shortened to work with the 10 bolt front diff. The rear shaft, besides needing an adapter u-joint, which is very common, fit right in, plenty of travel. I had to drill the frame for the crossmember mounting, the (supposed) 1981 K5 frame I was sold did not have the proper bolt holes for the combo I used. Hydraulic clutch setup out of a newer (86 or so) Chev made it much easier to do the pedals. Still need to cut and weld the tranny tunnel on the truck, to fit the 205's shifter, which is totally different than a 208...my trucks body (1986) did not have a removable transmission tunnel, or I would have swapped it for the correct one like that. Steering Column took awhile to find, (ok I had to make it) but not really a necessity right off the bat.

Personally I'm keeping my eyes out for an NV4500 for the OD, but good luck finding one cheap, ($2000+ used I have seen so far)and you need certain years...not sure which.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>