Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 to SM465 Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Dec 22, 2000.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone swaped a 700R4 out to a SM465?...i would like to do that in my 88 but finding all the peddle, and all the other fun stuff i think would be a pain...dose anyone make a kit to change over or would i be better of goin to pick and pull and trying to get all the parts the hard way...also if anyone has a estimated cost on swapin it over....including

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you do the swap look for a hydaulic clutch set-up, you'll thank yourself later.
    I think the best way to do this is find a 4 speed parts truck and grab every part you need. Then sell the rest of the truck, or swap the slushbox into the parts truck and sell it as a runner.
    Thats the way I'd do it. Unless you can find someone that has all the parts for sale. Most SM 465's are pretty cheap.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

GM stil used the SM465 in '88 K5s so maybe you could find one in a salvage yard and get everything you need that way.

Fencepost eater

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

About 10 years ago I helped a buddy in Massachusetts swap from a Turbo 350/203 to a SM465/205. I told him I'd help with everything but changing the pedal assemblies. [​IMG] He cussed me after he finished that part!

Anyway, he found a clapped out, unbelievably rusted out K5 with the tranny he wanted and bought it for something like $600. We parked them side by side in the driveway and started unbolting. 5 hours later the 4-speed and t-case were bolted under his truck. He did he pedal swap the next day. He was happy with the results but it was easier because we had the entire donor vehicle parked right there.

You'll need to decide what to do about the auto shifter on the column. He just popped the roll pin out of his and tossed the lever. He also had to mess with the wiring to get the starter to work since the park/neutral interlock was keeping power from getting to it. You could reroute it all through the clutch switch like the factory did, if you want to get that involved.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

OK, I'll try to help a little with the pedal swap thing. I just put a 465 in a 73 that originally had an auto.
    The clutch and brake pedal are one assembly. You need to first remove the brake booster, then simply remove the four bolts that hold the pedal assemblt to the firewall.
    You have to remove the steering column to remove the pedals.
    It's really that easy, just time consuming to actually do it.
    If you go mechanical linkage, then I can help you with it. I drilled a 2" hole in the fllorboard for the clutch rod to go through (there are factory marks even in an auto cab, can;t mess it up. Mounting the Zbar to the frame requires that you have a bracket on your framerail (left ramerail, right by tranny) that your auto truck will not have, You get to grind the two rivets off the manual frame bracket and bolt it to two holes that are already there in your auto frame.
    It's not that hard (I can say that in hndsight) but before I actually did it I was really worried it wouldn't go together.
    -- Mike

6. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

Beleive it or not I'm doing the reverse I'm intrested in putting a 700r4 in and removing my 456.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

hit a wrecker
    I think they stung me a whoopin $25cdn for the pedal assembly
    a u pull type yard is best so you can ensure you get every nut n bolt

8. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

I did the swap last winter. Don't grind out the bracket on the frame that holds the linkage, buy it at the dealer for $11.00. I thought the swap was as easy as changing the cluctch? If you get the pedals from a junk yard get the bracket they mount to. That bracket just bolts in. I replaced the steering column to make it look as much as stock as possible.

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

just so ya know...your responding to a post thats almost 2 years old...i did the swap last year /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

And if you're like me you never looked back!

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

yup i am very happy with it...at the same time i did the swap i also did a axle swap...D60 and 14 bolt...so it was like driving a totaly diff truck when i was done..but i have not looked back from dumpin the 700r4...i had nothin but problems with em...when i swaped that tranny i took out was my 4th one in 3 years...it still worked fine...but i figured i better get it out while the gettin was good... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dam suckered again.
    good follow up though Chaz

13. fryed_1

fryed_1 1/2 ton status

I know it's an old post, but at least I searched!

Doing the same swap...

Donor is a sm465/np208 out of a 83 K20. Patient is a 89 K5 700r4/np231.

I just had one question. Are the starters the same? Looked on napa, but they have about 50 different starter options and who knows if they're the same regardless of part numbers.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Should be? :)

168 teeth is 168 teeth. Supposedly only the 153(?) and 168 teeth flywheel/flexplates used on these trucks, so if the flywheel/flexplate are the same diameter, the starter will work.

Grab the chip out of the donor if you are still EFI.

15. fryed_1

fryed_1 1/2 ton status

I don't have the whole donor truck, just the tranny/tcase and pedals.

Is using the auto EFI chip going to make a difference?

16. fryed_1

fryed_1 1/2 ton status

Nevermind.. just read about the TBI problems in this thread

Maybe I'll take some more details pics while I'm doing it this weekend to add to the writeup in the main page and include some of this information as well.

All in all though from that thread it seems that it will run, but not optimally. But for someone who has to get this done over the weekend to get to work on Monday, then it should suffice until I get a new chip and replace it in a week or so.... hopefully

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah I don't think you'll have any problem in that regard. It will run.

18. 86m10086.2L

86m10086.2L Registered Member

I did a auto to manual swap in my 55 chevy which had a TPI 350 and a 700R4. When I did the swap I had the chip for my computer re-programed for a manual transmission by Street and performance in Mena Ak. Basically the reason for it, is that when you eliminate the auto tranny with a electronic lockout converter, or speed sensors the computer will sometimes look for them when making quick stops and without it can cause the engine to stall. (usually freeway off ramps or panic stops) I drove my car for a week before sending the chip down never had a problem. At least thats what I was told by them and that all they do so I tend to take they're word over my own guesses. Ironically enough I also am looking to do a th400/NP208 to SM465/208 or NP205 swap. For you it's easier, I'm probably gonna go mechanical linkage depending on how easy it is to modify the booster mount/pedal assembly for the hydraulic setup because I have a diesel K30 with a hydro boost setup and they are slightly diff. And stick diesels let alone 4x4 stick diesels are nearly non exsistant by me so i gotta use gas job parts.

19. fryed_1

fryed_1 1/2 ton status

I'll be going with mechanical linkage for the short term. 700r4 went out on me on Monday and I need to get something running again. I've been wanting to swap to a NV4500 and was slowly gather parts, but this deal came up so I'll do the 465 for now and when the 4500 is ready it should be easier to swap then once the pedals and all that are already done.

20. carpeonnel

carpeonnel 1/2 ton status

thinking about doing the 465 swap in my K5 and doing some searching, but does anybody have a thread where they swapped in a 465 where they had a 700 or another auto.

Also, if I find a 465 that was in front of a 208 that'll bolt up to my 241, correct?

Was gonna rebuild my 700, buy now I'm thinking of going to the 465