Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Toast

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mmation, Apr 24, 2003.

1. mmation

mmation Newbie

I have been reading this board for a while now...lots of great info and good posts!

Anyway, I have an 85 Blazer. Tranny is shot, so I am planning on replacing it this weekend or next. I don't have much cash right now to play with, and I am not sure I am ready to try rebuildiing it myself.
    I found a couple places through eBay, Phoenix sells stock 700R4's, and Netgearhead does rebuilds and heavy duty units. Anyone have any experience with these guys? Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a 700R4 rebuild?

Any help appreciated!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Ted - 85 Blazer

2. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. Mine roasted about 4 months ago and I am just getting ready to replace it now. Don't know much about either of the places you listed. A couple of good ones to consider are either Bowtie Overdrive or TCI Automotive . They are on the pricey side, but they are a top quality unit. A rebuilt unit from GM is a good consideration too. Whatever you do, stay away from the Raptors. I have no direct experience with them but if you search that keyword you will find several unfavorable threads about the trannies, the warranty and their service.

Keep in mind these trannies are extremely heat sensitive and what ever route you take, consider adding an auxilary cooling system and trans temp gauge to help protect your new investment.

Lance

3. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

Ted,

These people built the 700r4 that's in my Turbo Regal. I will say they don't appear to be as budget now as when they built mine. The trans has been in the car for 10 years and many 1/8 and 1/4 mile passes, Though it doesn't take the beating it did when it was installed.Check these guys out

Good Luck.
    Rich

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

welcome to CK5, if you would please fill out your profile a little for us. also, i just had my 700r4 rebuilt here in vegas. the owner showed me the kit by superior that they put in mine. i've only had it back about 6 days, but they did an awesome job on it. plus a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty. my total rebuild cost $1700, but they said that the tranny will easily hold a 350+hp engine. and they also did a total seal job on my t-case.

5. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

I also feel your pain /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I guess if I was going to buy a performance tranny I'd go to BowtieOverdrives, but if money is a concern (which it always is /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif).
    Go to your local guy and have one done, and one that knows info on these trannys! I though about a level 2 BowtieOv.
    and looked at the price and went /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    So I picked up a 1990(more updates) 700R4 rebuildable core for $150. Got a Transgo kit for $75, B&M shift kit for $35, and new style Sun shell $30, and my own time and effort, (organizational skills /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif). And have a great runnin tranny behind a 400HP 454ci. Gained some experience, on this second tranny rebuild too.

$300 and some time and brain bashing /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Good luck!

6. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Ditch the 700R4
    and get a 350 or 400
    or go manual

7. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

The 350 isn't any stronger than the 700r4, and if he switches he's losing his overdrive. I got my 2 700's rebuilt last year by someone who specializes in them, and am no longer considering switching for another trans. Granted it has it's problems you have to work around, but so do the other three.

8. georgiared84

BTW, I ordered some of the parts for mine through phoenix. Don't know how they are with whole transmissions, but they were very helpful, and I would reccomend them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. georgiared84

10. 82GR8WHITE

82GR8WHITE Registered Member

I agree with getting a th400. I burned up 4 700r4s before I learned. With a turbo 400 you lose OD but gain tons of reliability. For what I have learned through many $k's /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif is that the front pumps on the older 700r4 are weak and cause unduly low pressure in the tranny when at low rmp. Hence they are terrible for diesels or for 4 wheel'n. If you rebuild the 700r4 make sure that you get a newer style pump. research it yourself on the internet and you should find some info on the differnece between the pumps. I have turned my back on these trannies and gone to the TH400... no complaints since. The money saved on rebuilds more than pays for the few mpg it costs me.
    Good luck

11. georgiared84

On the other hand, put your 700 in 3rd and drive it around on your usual rout and see if you can deal with the rpm's for a while. I've helped a couple of people do the swap from 700 to 350 and they hated the highway rpm's. (I tried to tell them big tires would fix that but they didn't listen) I put the 400 I got for doing some work for a friend in the 83 shortbed, and the only thing I don't like about it is the loss of that 30 or 40 horsepower at the rear wheel. It's got a stock engine and every horse get's missed.

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yeah, that's right. I put in a newer style pump when I did mine. I think the old were 7-vane and the newer ones are 10-vane. There is also a new 13-vane available, I've heard. The last thing you need in a heat sensitive tranny is a lack of fluid flow.

13. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Might as well jump in here. When my 700 bit the dust last year, I did a lot of checking around. Believe it or no the best deal was from GM. I got a brand new 700R4 installed for a tad over $1800. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif This includes a 3yr, 50K mile warrienty. If anything happens I will just take it to any GM shop, pay the $25 deductable, and let them worry with it.
    Give them a call, you might be surprised.

14. georgiared84

Did you check Northern Auto parts. They had street fighters advertized for 1200. Don't know what their 4x4 versions are. I had a 90 700r4 put in my black 84 and it lasted a little over 3 years with a lot of abuse and little maintenance. I just had it rebuilt and they do have a 13 vane pump now. I had that, corvette servo, heavy duty steels, clutches, shift kit, 40,000 lb cooler, in cab switch for the lock up, blah blah blah... blah blah blah..... Luckily I have a friend who does the work for me in exchange for help with other projects. So it only costs me a few hundred.

15. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

At Bowtie Overdrives (www.700r4.com) I just paid 1400 for a 700r4 good to 450 hp and 450 ftlbs. Can't be more thrilled with the support from those guys....they can walk you through any problems you have, and have you run a variety of tests to make sure its funcitoning correctly. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.