Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 towing question

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by sandawgk5, Dec 19, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Is there a break point where it is ok to tow in OD with a 700R4 or if any towing is done it should be in Drive. I have a Saturn that I intend to flat tow across country car weighs about 2400-2600. Could I tow that in OD or is it a bad idea. I have a 40,000 GVRW cooler infront of my radiator so tranny heat is not a concern. Also can anyone direct me to a good and cheap towbar with mounts for a 1997 Saturn SL2.

Thanks

Ira

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Personally, i tow in OD when on flat ground on the highway. If there is any slight incline, or the torque converter unlocks, i put it back in D.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yep what he said. but keep in mind 700s havent got asmany clutches in 4th and 1 clutch in the convertor. so any real loads will kill them . if it feels heavy on the truck 3rd is best.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks that is what I thought. I will prolly just pull in 3rd and deal with the RPM. I should be around 2700 with 4.10s and 37s.

Ira

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is you r Th700 built? If it's stock I wouldn't tow in OD. If you had an aftermarket converter that builds less heat and modified clutches and valve body I'd say go for it. As long as your gearing was acceptable of course.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

With those gears/tires... leave it in 3rd to tow. Your tires are already an overdrive.

7. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

OK, Digging this up cause who the hell wants another "towing with 700r4" thread

I read that 3rd gear is good to tow in. Great, but what if the lock-up doesn't work in 3rd gear? Actually, I should ask if it ever did :) I just know my newer truck locks in 3rd & 4th. My blazer, only 4th.

And yes, I have the biggest tranny cooler BTO sells. I monitor the temps with an autometer in the pan. Takes for ever to warm up, but temps are steady @ 170, no mater how I drive. Never towed with it though.

:) :)

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Which gears get lock up is not consistent with early 700R4's. There is no computer to control that stuff, just simple on/off switches at locations like the gas pedal, brake pedal, and internally on hydraulic switches. If it doesn't lockup in 3rd, you just get the equivalent of driving with a TH350.

9. 79rustyk10

79rustyk10 3/4 ton status

All 5 or 6 of them that I killed :doah: would lock up in 3rd. Are you sure it doesnt? I remember that it wasnt very noticable.