Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 tranny problems *update*attn 4x4high

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Jul 5, 2006.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

well the guy took everything apart, and the inside of the tranny looked all good(as i expected it would), solenoids all work, all the gears work good, the converter even locks up, but the thing just wont drop into OD
    he is at a loss as to why this would be happing he thinks it might be the deep pan, and the filter not having a extension on it to get it to the bottom of the pan. He said this may cause the pump to cavitate a little bit.

anyone have any ideas?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If the deep pan was a problem, I probably never would have had OD on the beast... would I? It worked fine for me. Not 100% sure what the problem is... but its a little scary that the trans guy doesn't know either. yikes! Hopefully someone here (or maybe pirate?) can help track the issue down.

The Raptor is supposed to have a gizmo that helps keep the trans in OD and avoid unecessary downshifts... maybe a problem with that? Its good to hear that the guy gave the trans a clean bill of health (other than the OD issue!) though.

j

3. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

Well, I personally would need some more info here to diagnose this, You said its a 700R4 in your title, but in your paragraph you said they checked all he solonoids, Now if its a 700R4 it will only have one solonoid (For lockup), If its a 4l60E and your having problems with this, i would recommend taking it to a good trans shop with a shafer shifter (A electronic device that takes place of the computer so you can diagnose different problems) and have them check it out.. Could be something stupid. Nate

4. NateInChandler

BTW, THe deep pan is the least of your concerns, Hughes sells a Extra deep pan for the 4l60E/700R4 and it doesnt have a filter extension. Id recommend another shop, sounds like this guy doesnt know what hes doing.. What is the tranny itself doing wrong??? Nate

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya you are right, but he is stumped so i am up for anything just to get my truck back working ya know?

Nate,
    this dude knows his ****, everyone in town recommended him, and it seems to be he is pretty smart
    the tranny will not go into OD the converter locks up when you shift it into OD but the gear wont change
    he checked the solenoid, and the governor springs, and some other stuff, he said it all checks out. so he is stumped, he has been calling around to people to see if they have any ideas

6. NateInChandler

Aight, No harm no foul but try this. Unplug the case connector on the drivers side of the tranny, Then drive it, Im wondering if maybe its going into 4th but not locking up. Ive had that happen where a customer will think he lost 4th gear but it wasnt locking up. I also just talked with out builder here at the tranny shop and he said it could be a lot of things, Stuck TV valve, 4th gear servo Not sealing correctly, cut lip seal and more.. Not trying to be a asshat, just trying to help.. Nate (Tri City Transmission in tempe arizona)

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So you want my attention? What for, i'm no tranny guy but i do have a tranny sitting in my garage with the same problem and would be very curious to know what you finally find out is wrong with yours so maybe i can get my spare tranny fixed also.

8. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

I had a 700r4 do this once. Turns out it was a stuck TV valve.

9. NateInChandler

Pull the pan and check the TV valve, a small piece of trash will do wonders for the valves in the valve body. (ask me how i know, brand new GM Crate Tranny got a piece of a bushing stuck in it, guess even GM makes mistakes), Nate

10. 4X4HIGH

The tranny i had built the guy took the valve body off and checked all the valves and none were stuck so he then put a different valve body in and still no OD. That is when i finally got tired of trying to fix it and just put my very hard shifting 700 back in that had all 4 gears.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

sorry knew you were wicked smart, thought you might know tranny's to

Nate, he pulled the VB, and the 4th servo housing, everything looks good, he has checked everything he can without pulling the tranny out of the truck and taking it apart.

the converter locks up when you put it in od, but you dont get 4th gear.

12. 4X4HIGH

Wow, finally someone admits my smarts. :thumb: Unfortunately i'm not too smart in the tranny department, YET.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

thats cool
    i just want to drive my freaking truck again

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

15. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

The factory shop manual lists a bunch of possible causes for having no 3-4 shift. I'll snap a few pics and post them in a minute.

16. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Here we go, hope this helps:

700R4_no3-4shift_01of03.jpg

700R4_no3-4shift_02of03.jpg

700R4_no3-4shift_03of03.jpg

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

thanks man, the dude at the tranny shop has been rebuild 700r4's for 20 somthin years so i am sure he checked all that stuff already

i am sure it will be something stupid, we will put it back together and it will work.