Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 tranny questions....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Sep 16, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

how do you tell if the convertor has fluid in it? Basically have a 'new' 700R4 I got and getting ready to throw it in. Converter and tranny look BRAND NEW, and I am not sure if the previous owner put oil in the convertor before it was slid on. Also, if empty, arent you supposed to put a couple courts in before you install it?

Also, what is the best way to put a draig plug in the pan? I had a B&M drain plus on my old pan, but it ALWAYS leaked and came loose inside the pan.

Where is the best place to put a temp sensor on the 700R4?
    I'd like to get a trans temp guage and figure I may as well do it now while the tranny is fresh. Who makes the best 'kit'?

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The converter leaks some fluid back into the pan when the pump isn't running. I think you will just have to check the level once it's running. Just get it up to a reasonable level before you start it up.

As for a drain plug, there are two good places to put it: in the pan and in the output line. The output line has the highest temps. In the pan, put it in the rear, not on the bottom. If you're using an electrical gauge, you can also put in more than one sensor and use a switch in the cab to select which one is monitored.

I know B&M makes a kit to tap into the line. I have used it and never got any leaks. You could probably make the same sort of T-connection from hardware store parts, but I never tried.

If you want the temp sensor in the pan, skip the drain plug and just pull the sensor out to drain the tranny, i.e. two birds with one stone.

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

So if the convertor is empty upon start up until the oil gets flowing, it wont hurt anything?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    So if the convertor is empty upon start up until the oil gets flowing, it wont hurt anything?

[/ QUOTE ]I thought you were suppoesed to dump a a qauart or two into the converter before you slid it on.

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

thats what I thought too /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Can I 'overfill' it?
    Like I said, it all looks brand new, so I am not sure if has even been ran. I really dont think it has. No fluid in the pan either, at least according to the dipstick.

I think he got it rebuilt and just never put the truck back together /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The GM rebuilt sticker is still shiny new!

Obviously I'll fill up the tranny before starting it, I guess I'll dump a quart of ATF in the convertor too, just to be on the safe side. I was just mainly concerned about overfilling the converter if there is suck a thing.

6. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

yeah man!!! don't go burnin' up that TQ...1 qt in the converter please!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

just pull it off and pour as much out as you can if there's any in there...some will be stuck in the blades and may not empty completely, but enough for a quart

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Throw a quart in it before you install it.
    It will fill the converter up pretty much instantly once you start the eng. up.(provided there is enough fluid in the pan).

Start by filling the pan untill it reads "full" on the dipstick.
    start the eng. and check the level.It will drop as the fluid fills the converter.
    As long as it registers fluid on the dipstick your good to continue.

Get it up to normal operating temp. and shift the trans through all the gears.

Recheck the fluid and add as needed.Just don't overfill.

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

yeah, I tipped the converter up side down, and no fluid came out at all. Like I said, everythingn looks brand new, so I doubt it was ever ran. Benind teh torque converter looks brand new, the torque converter looks brand new, everything is shiny new /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Thanks for all the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I am gonna used the tips on 'bowtie overdrive' site for setting up the tv cable. I actually called them and once its in, he said to call them witht he pressure readings and he'll tell me if I need to adjust it more, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Obviously I'll fill up the tranny before starting it, I guess I'll dump a quart of ATF in the convertor too, just to be on the safe side. I was just mainly concerned about overfilling the converter if there is suck a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I had my th700 installed by the builder for warranty issues so I can't say for sure but the consensus sounds like you definantly want to put some in. As far as overfilling it....I did help rebuild the auto power shuttle in my Case 580 back hoe and we put as much fluid in the converter as it would hold, a power shuttle is an auto just like a th700 basically except it only has one forward and one reverse gear.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how do you tell if the convertor has fluid in it? Basically have a 'new' 700R4 I got and getting ready to throw it in. Converter and tranny look BRAND NEW, and I am not sure if the previous owner put oil in the convertor before it was slid on. Also, if empty, arent you supposed to put a couple courts in before you install it?

Also, what is the best way to put a draig plug in the pan? I had a B&M drain plus on my old pan, but it ALWAYS leaked and came loose inside the pan.

Where is the best place to put a temp sensor on the 700R4?
    I'd like to get a trans temp guage and figure I may as well do it now while the tranny is fresh. Who makes the best 'kit'?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you could overfill the converter if you wanted to. It might just make for more of a mess when you try and put it on if over half full. After I rebuilt my trans (TH350) I forgot to fill the converter first. It still works /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

For a drain plug go to the auto parts store and buy a drain plug and the plastic washer to go with it. Find a castle nut with the same thread. The castle nut will let more fluid drain out then a regular nut and still have alot of threads ingaged. Drill a hole the same size as the plug, and tack weld the castle nut to the inside of the pan in 2-3 places. Put it anywhere where it won't touch the throttle body.

After you are done setting up the TV cable toss the gage sender in the pump test port. It is 1/8" NPT and doesn't get any easier. Don't use teflon tape when you install it because it needs a good ground.
    [​IMG]

I used an autometer electronic gage and the sender fit in without any adapters. If you use a mechanical gage it won't fit there and you will have to put it in the pan.

The fluid at that port is right after the pump and before the cooler. It will be about the hottest part to measure from.