Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 tranny upgrade questions

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by tch777, Jan 29, 2003.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Hi everyone I need some advice on hopping up the tranny a little to keep it alive as long as possible.

The burban has 125,000 on the clock and the tranny is still working well. But I want to firm up the shifts some and I am due for a fluid and filter change. The local shops I talked to want from 70 to 130 bucks for just a filter and fluid change. One place was 90 bucks just to drain the pan and put in a filter, not even a complete fluid change! I asked the shops about shift improvers and such. One said on a tranny with that many miles it will grenade, the other shop says sure it will cost over 300 cause they have to pull the valve body /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I called the people that build the Raptor and they said sure add what you want it won't hurt it, but then again they probably want to sell parts. I know in my F350 with powerstroke that putting a shift kit in and huge tranny cooler prolongs the auto tranny a bunch. Isn't it the same for the 700R4? The engine is the stock 350 TBI with only a Turbo City injector spacer, Air filter cone, Airaid TBI spacer, and K&N air filter. I will in the future add the shorty headers, high flow cat and exhaust, and a custom chip. With that in mind I don't think I need a Raptor or other built to the hilt tranny but then this is my first GMC so I don't know that much about them. When I got the burban the TV cable was tighten up and the shifts were firm. But when I added the TBI sapcer it didn't shift right and would try to idle you thru a stoplight. So I followed the Chilton manual and adjusted it to spec. Know it idles good again but the shifts are weak, and I can't for the life of me get the cable to adjust the other way a little to firm the shifts some.

So what do you guys think?
    I already got a tranny cooler on it.
    Transgo shift kit = 35 bucks
    New billet overdrive servo for better lock up = 56 bucks
    The .471 mega valve = 9 to 14 bucks to firm shifts instead of transgo shift kit.
    Or ???
    I am really close to doing my own fluid and filter change and modifying my tranny in my own driveway, but I have never done anything to auto trannies but fluid and filter changes.

Help
    Thanks

Tim

2. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

Beware the Raptor trannies....Do a search on them and you will see why.

3. Kevin108

Kevin108 Registered Member

The TransGo kit for the 700R4 is like $150 and comes with Corvette servo... Do yourself a favor though and install it yourself. Just take your time and do it right. I let a shop do it and after 6 months of new problems every 2 weeks and never getting it right (including 3 under-warranty rebuilds), I sold the S-10 in my sig...which I need to update. Do the fluid change yourself. No you won't get it all, but you'll get lots. Don't forget to clean out the pan and get all the dust off the magnet on the bottom. Also when you pull the pan this time, do yourself a favor and install a drain plug in it so that it's never as messy of a job again.

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Re: 700R4 tranny upgrade questions (MESSY)

I'm with Kevin on the messy tranny pan issue. I dropped the pan (more like lurched a bit /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) on my TH400 and spilled only maybe a quart, but it sure was messy. Plus, I have this nasty absorbant wood fiber crap on top of the cement floor in the garage, so everybody who walks up or into the garage asks the same question - how did that happen and point to the 2'x2' stain.

I actually had a drain plug kit ready to go but it was a funny little thing that required a 3/4" hole to be drilled in the pan but only had about 1/4" hole to drain fluid. I dont have a chuck big enough to hold a bit that big, so I just cleaned up the pan really good (see Kevin's advice about the magnet - I couldnt even see mine under all the gunk) and put the pan back on w/ some non-hardening gasket sealer. So far, so good.

Does anybody know if you can just get a self tapping, old fashioned drain plug like what's on most oil pans and not have to mess with a 3/4" hole and a 3-4 piece drain plug 'kit'?

Ben