Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xblaxermnx, May 16, 2005.

1. xblaxermnx

xblaxermnx Registered Member

I am looking to upgrade my 700r4 tranny, but I dont really have an idea how to do this. I will have a shop do it, but need some recommendations first. I have about 1,000.00 to do this with.

Specs:
    84 K5
    rebuilt 350 .030 over
    Edelbrock Preformer cam and intake
    Carter 650 carb
    stock HEI distributer
    33" tires
    stock axles

Any ideas to help make it a reliable and stouter than normal tranny would help. Also I think I need to have a torque converter lockup kit installed as i shift wierd, wanders between 3-4 gears and grinds if I let off the accelerator.
    I will be using it for mild trail riding, and the ocassional mud bog :D. Any suggestions on parts, upgrades and shops would be cool. Thanks :)

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you're prepared to spend that much on a rebuild, would it not be worth spending a few hundred more and buying a TCI or B&M trans complete? They're uprated and come with a warrenty. You're rebuilt one would prob come with a warrenty but how good is your local trans shop?
    I think I'd go with a name brand recon unit.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If your tranny is an '84 as well, getting a core '87-up is going to net you better internals as well.

I'd have to agree with Southernspeed, you will have to compare the price of a "rebuild" to buying one "new"...there is something to be said of a warranty with a 700R4, and you could probably spend at least $2000 in rebuild pieces alone if you were going to go "all out".

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The first thing is I think you need more money for the tranny. :) It seems most built 700's run in the $1,500 range. I would imagine that your tranny is not original. An early 700 that is still original is far and few anymore. It may have even been updated too. If thats the case you might be able to get away with a GOOD stock rebuild that includes a modified valve body, aftermarket torque converter, and maybe a different sun gear. Thats about all you need anyway. I have a friend that owns the best local tranny shop that does great work. I paid about $1500 for my 700, which was right above his cost. I have whats listed above with a "few" internal mods also. I had him do the R&R, thats the route to go because most shops will include a much better warranty if they do the install.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would not rebuild your 84 700r4 they are weak even if rebuilt with heavy duty parts.

Go here:http://www.700r4.com
    They build great trannys using the new style cases and all upgrades.
    Even their level 1 700r4 trans would be stronger that your 84 model with upgrades.
    Call them They have some kind of a special going on till the end of May to get $100 discount on 700R4s. They are good people to deal with.
    Be sure to get a NEW torque convertor too.

6. Silverado_K5

Silverado_K5 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt my 87 700R4 with high performance parts including Kevlar clutches and Kolene steel plates for $900. You should check out a great guy on Ebay under the name oregonperformancetransmission. I bought everything to do a high performance rebuild and my brother and I did it ourselves.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have a raptor 700, and its never let me down. That said, its hard not to recommend getting quality parts, a few manuals / do-it-yourself videos and rebuilding the thing yourself. The knowledge you gain from doing something like this is priceless. Before my 700 bites it, I'm going to find a stock newer 700 to rebuild... thenI will have my jekbrown-built 700 ready to bolt in. :)

j

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My transfercase made grinding noise right before my transfercase only found 4 low .

9. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

i have a built 700r4 my friend is selling. Less than 15,000 miles on it. He's actually looking to make a deal.
    928-636-2298 ask for Juan Enriquez' classroom

10. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

best ways to upgrade your 700 (what mine has):

kevlar band, new torque converter (one that fits your needs), corvette servo, shift kit (tons to choose from), heavy duty sprag (32 piece i believe), you can buy clutches that last just as long, but are thinner, so you can fit one more in the clutch pack, adding that much more grab to it. ginormous tranny cooler. besides these, i dont think anything else would be necessary unless it's faulty or broken, oh yeah, get an 87 or newer core, anything earlier and your wasting your money.. as far as doing it yourself, these sob's arent considered the most complicated mechanisms on your truck for nothing, i did mine in class with a tranny-pro over my shoulder, i'm not saying it's impossible, but it is difficult, plus there's the special tools, and the knowledge of actually knowing whether what you're looking at is good or not. but if that's what you wanna do, more power to you, just thought i'd put in my $.02...