Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Machine Head, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Newbie

I've been considering putting a 700r4 transmission in my 81 fullsize jimmy. Are these good solid tranmissions for offroaders? Is there much difference between the ones they put in comaros and the ones they put in 3/4 ton trucks? Do these transmissions all have the same standard input and output splines? I just love the idea of the low 1st gear and the overdrive with a 4.10 rear end and 36"tires.
    Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated
    thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I like my 700 R-4. My first 700 went 105K behind a 305. My second went 25k behind a stock 350 (wrecked it though). I now have 20k behind a mild 350. This time though, its been set for firm shifts, has a shift kit ,and a big cooler. The cooler is the big key with a 700. Get the biggest one you can find. Get a 700 R-4 that has been rebuilt with all the current updates, and that has been built by a GOOD tranny shop. If you run lots of power then definitly get a 700 that was purpose built to handle power, otherwise they will just keep going out on you. Personally after the one I got now goes out I and getting a Raptor 700 or a Jet Performance t-700.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I like mine. It is stock in my 89 and has over 150,000 on it. Like what was said already make sure you get one that is purpose built. Also with the OD you can step up the gears.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The 700 started in '82. Stay away from the first few years. It earned a bad rap in the early days, but has been proven to hold up decent in many applications. Two important rules are use a transmission cooler and don't tow in overdrive. The 4WD transmission does not use the same output housing or shaft as the car version since it is bolted to the transfer case instead of accepting a driveshaft. It also uses a different inspection cover that has two large tapped holes in it for some mounting rods that connect to the engine. The input spline count is not important becauseb it is the torque converter that couples the engine output to the tranny. The torque converter has to match your flywheel, have the correct splines for the transmission and be of the lock-up type. There are two sets of splines to match, one for the stator and one for the rotor. I think there were only two types used over the years. The wrong splines will sometimes fit, but not engage, which means after everything is put together the vehicle does not move, so check it out beforehand. The easiest way is to find a mated transmission and transfer case from any full-size GM 4WD with a non-computer controlled engine. The computer controlled engines of the late 80's did not have lock-up valves and relied on the ECM for that function. To overcome that, a speed sensor kit is available to lock the converter above a pre-set speed. Never try to run a 700 without provisions for lock-up intact. To convert the transmission from another application can be done, but it requires changing the output shaft, which requires removal of all transmission guts, making it basically the same amount of work as a transmission rebuild. A truck tranny can often be snagged for less than the cost of the rebuild work. Shift kits are fine, but not mandatory. Make sure you use a locking (sealed) dipstick.

<font color=green>Does a Dyslexic Insomniac Athiest lay awake at night wondering if there's really a Dog?</font color=green>

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There's a few different opinions about 700r4s around here, mostly based on personal experience. Here's my take:

1. If you decide to go with the 700r4, make sure you get one built by a reputable tranny shop. Don'y get your uncle's friends buddy to get you one. They are very complex and apparently easy to build improperly. If you have the cash there are a few manufacturers out there who make heavy duty 700s built to withstand abuse- check out Jet Performance.

2. &amp;00r4s HATE heat. One of your first upgrades when you put an OD tranny in is to install a big auxilliary tranny cooler. I went with a 22,000 GVW stacked plate cooler. Long Inc. and B&amp;M make good coolers. TRy to stay away from the aluminum tube/fin tranny coolers- they're not as tough and don't work as efficiently.

3. Keep it clean- Change out your ATF on a regular basis. Keep the fluid clean and the 700r4 will take care of you.

That's it from me. FYI, both my 83 6.2 halfton and my 84 K5 have 700r4s. I can honestly say that they have performed well for me, and I do lots of towing through the Canadian Rockies during the summer. One hint- don't drive in OD in the city. This will make a 700r4 "hunt" for gears and will lead to early failure of your unit. Keep her in Drive in the city and save OD for the highway....

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Here I spend all this time typing only to find that a bunch of guys beat me to it. Oh well......[​IMG]

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

7. scooby

scooby Registered Member

not to be rude.
    a manuel tranny has a flywheel
    a automatic tranny uses a flexplate
    im thinking the 700r4 is an auto?

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yes, my mistake. I meant "flexplate", not "flywheel".

<font color=green>Does a Dyslexic Insomniac Athiest lay awake at night wondering if there's really a Dog?</font color=green>