Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Transmission cooling lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by durbin99, Apr 29, 2004.

1. durbin99

durbin99 Registered Member

I am looking to install a remote filter in the transmission line to the coolers (2 aux coolers and the radiator). I am not sure which line I should put it in, either the supply to the cooler where the fluid is still hot, or on the return line when it's cool. Is there any type of concern with regards to the temp of the filtering process? Also, as I did not install the aux coolers, I am not sure which line is the supply and which is the return. Does anyone know, on the casing of the transmission, which line is the supply and which is the return to the cooler?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brent Durbin
    1983 Chevrolet Blazer K5
    350, 700R4
    San Diego, CA

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

For a 700R4, top line on the tranny is the return line. Bottom line is the to-the-cooler line. (Same for on the radiator...top line is "out", bottom line is "in")

I tapped my aux cooler into the top line up by my radiator. So, fluid has already gone through the radiator cooler by the time it travels through the aux cooler. No problems/complaints with that setup.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

4. durbin99

durbin99 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. What about the best location for a remote tranny filter? Best on the cool line or the hot line, or does it even matter?

Thanks again
    Brent
    1983 K5, 350, 700R4

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the info. What about the best location for a remote tranny filter? Best on the cool line or the hot line, or does it even matter?

Thanks again
    Brent
    1983 K5, 350, 700R4

[/ QUOTE ]

Factory puts it in line after the one in the radiator. If you live where it gets cold that is where you will want to put it. Some people that live in hot climates put them before the radiator...but I have never tried it that way.

Get the bigest one you can find and the stacked plate ones (like B&M) are better then the tube & fin ones.