Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 transmission struts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Does anybody know offhand what year they started putting the 700r4 into Blazers? I need to get a set of the struts that go from the cast transmission shield to the engine mounts and the plate that goes under the engine mounts that the struts attach to.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. Desert Rat

Silly me. You would've thought I could have found that myself. :doah:

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Soooooo much info associated with this site that it is tough keeping track of it :wink1::D

5. Desert Rat

I needed the two braces and the two brackets that go under the engine mount. I go down to the local Chevy dealership and wouldn't you know it, they don't have either. They were pretty good though. They got online and accessed something called "OEConnection" or similar. I guess all the Chevy dealerships subscribe to it. They all have access to each others inventory all across the U.S. He types in the part numbers and then prints out who has them. As a result, I am getting the braces from Franklin Chevrolet in Russell Springs, Kentucky, the left hand bracket from Oakland, California, and the right hand bracket from Levelland, Texas. A PITA but at least they are all on the way.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You went to Crown, by chance? They have a coupla really sharp guys there, Mace, was one ... and Kevin, maybe?

-- A

7. Desert Rat

Yeah, but I don't know their names. They have always been pretty helpfull, even though they never have what I want.

8. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

what are the tranny struts? never heard of this???

9. Desert Rat

They are braces that go from the engine mounts to the cast aluminum bottom torque converter cover on a 700r4 transmission.

10. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

my tranny is missing these I've been driving it like that since I bought it 5 yrs. ago.Will this hurt anything?

11. Desert Rat

You will get varying opinions here on that. Other folks are no doubt in the same boat and if they haven't had problems, they will probably tell you not to sweat it. My personal opinion is, they put them there for a reason. I also had the side bracket on my NP205 that is now no longer possible since I did a doubler. So, I want all the added support I can for all that weight back there.

12. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just swapped transmissions and the new one doesn't have the holes to mount the cover so I can't use the braces. I have been wondering if this is going to be a problem?

13. Desert Rat

If you have a 700r4, then you should be able to put the cast cover back on. Unless you put in a 2WD 700r4 perhaps?

14. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

That looks like what I have so what problems am I going to have now?

15. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

16. Desert Rat

As said, you can buy a cast aluminum cover from a dealership, which is what I did. The question is, does a 2wd case have the same configuration as the 4wd case allowing it to bolt up? Of that I'm not sure. If it does, then you buy the cover, braces, and brackets. I will post pics of when I install mine in the other thread I have going about my Doug's headers install.

17. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

The 4wd models came with these strut rods one for each engine mount and they attach to the bell housing cover. As for the 2wd models, they were not needed and there for did not come with the extra support and would have the tin bellhouse cover instead, which used sheet metal screws to attach instead of bolts like the 4wd aluminum cover. The 4wd models had alot of different things then the 2wd models like the strut rods, transfer case strut rod, different engine mounts and so on. I recommend you put them on if you do wheeling.

18. Desert Rat

The question is, are the holes for mounting the sheet metal on the 2wd model tranny body the same as the holes on the 4wd model that you can mount a cast cover on? I can't imagine them making an entirely different tranny body, but then again..... If I recall correctly, and I might be wrong, it seemed like on mine there were two holes available on the outer edge. One took a screw, the other for the cast cover used a small bolt.

19. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

I've seen only two 2wd 700r4 and they both had the tin cover as for the bolts I really dont remember but I just looked at my 700r4 in the garage and didnt see any other holes for a different config. So this ones up in the air unless someone could enlighten me on the matter.

20. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Quote from http://hotrodders.com/kb/transmission-rearend/articles/TH-700R4_basics.html