Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Transmission ????????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trikstark5, Jul 21, 2004.

1. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI am having a problem with my transmission and it is starting to drive me up the wall. When cruising at highway speed, 65-75, as soon as my blazer feels an incline or I even think about touching the gas pedal, it kicks out off overdrive and tachs the rpm's up. It has the surging effect, I guess is the best way to describe. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? The drivetrain is a 700R4-NP208 with 4:56 gears and running on 35" tires. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you need to adjust your throttle valve cable. There is a writeup on it over at thirdgen.org

It is easy though. Find the TV cable (right by throttle cable) and Press the D shaped button in. Push the little black knob on the cable back into the hole and release the D shaped button. Then (without the motor on) manually open the throttle to wide open.

You should hear a series of clicks as the cable adjusts itself.

Harley

3. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

yeah definatly sounds like a tv cable problem make sure you have it set corectly and the locking mechanizm isnt broken, other wise after you correct it , it will move. And if you want to be trick , pick up a B&M performance tv valve to replace you stock one. it will give you 3/4 throttle down shifts instead of the 1/2 throttle and more top end ( with your foot on the floor) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. trikstark5

Thanks guys. Appreciate you responses. Going to look into that tonight... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Is it really dropping out of Overdrive, going from 4th to 3rd, or is it just the Lock-up Torque Converter unlocking and relocking up? Next time it does it, pull the shift lever into 3rd and see if it shifts again. If you have a Tach it is easier to tell if the Converter is holding it’s lock-up. When the converter is locked engine speed will increase slowly and steadily with vehicle speed. When the converter is unlocked engine speed will increase faster and more irregularly, not in relationship to the vehicle speed.

6. trikstark5

Re: 700R4 Transmission ????????UPDATE

Well, the problem was the TV cable. It wasn't in the bracket. Just reinserted into the bracket, now it is so much smoother shifting. Thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Baja Blazer: I did feel the locking and unlocking of the convertor like you said. Thanks for the added info. Will a new convertor with a higher stall speed help that or not?

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: 700R4 Transmission ????????UPDATE

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/ this place might help you..........BTW any of yuou guys run the EZ shifter????? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif