Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 Tv Cable Replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by duece21, Apr 3, 2005.

1. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I bought a new TV cable for my 700r4 and was wondering if it is possible to replace the cable without taking the pan down. I just replaced the oil, filter and gasket about 2 months ago so I was trying to get away from taking the pan down. A friend was telling me you can take a small set of lock pliers and hold the clip arm (or whatever it is called) where the cable goes into the trans and then just attach the cable back on to the clip. Is it that simple or am I better off taking of the pan. Never replaced one before so be easy on me. :grin:

thanks,
    jesse

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Should be able to do it like your friend said.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I done it at least 3 times without dropping the pan.It's just kindof a PITA to do it though.

4. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I use a right angle pick to hold the link up to hook the new cable on. And remember a rag or something to catch the fluid that may spill out due to the angle of your tranny.

5. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

thanks, I was hoping to hear that...

6. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Just a FYI. Disconnect the linkage from the carb first, so you have slack to move the housing up to access the connection at the tranny easier. And the same when you install it. Also make sure you know how to properly adjust the cable after install or you can damage the tranny. Chiltons has instructions or you can check bowtieoverdrives.com as well. Good luck.

7. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I have the bowtie instructions of how to adjust it. I had the adjustment perfect and the adjusting ratchet completely gave out when i was driving and adjusted all the way out. :frown1: Luckily I was a block from home and just drove slow to get to the house. The k5 has been parked for too long and need to get it fixed. I tried adjusting again and the ratchet and button for the adjustment is just fubar. Thanks for the tip. What is the easiest way to get the linkage out of the bracket by the throttle body linkage? Is it easier to take the bracket off or just demolish the old one and push it through.

thnks
    jesse :grin:

8. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I am not sure which housing you have, but mine is square at the bracket with plastic tabs that I pinch down and it slides through the bracket. I use needle nose or a flat head and release one tab at a time or you can take the bracket loose, but you still have to get the cable out to replace it. I had the same problem with one of their cables and went to a stock type cable from them. They have good customer service and tech support. I would call them and see if they will warranty your cable if you got it from them.

Here is a pic of the cable I use.

[​IMG]

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/3687/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  9. LittlecountryK15

LittlecountryK15 Registered Member

Im about to do the same thing and I was just wondering duece21 were you purchased your TV cable ass. and if you dont mind telling how much you paid

10. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where did you get the new TV cable from and what did it cost? I've been looking online and the parts stores don't have a listing for it. I need a new one for my 87. Thanks

11. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

12. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I think I paid about $15 bucks for it, but I honestly don't remember. The company I work for I get 10% over cost at the GMC dealership we own. I am also a parts guy for the freightliner side and we help each other out on prices :grin:. I bought the new one when I put the throttle body spacer on and never got around to replacing it. Now that its fubar I need to get my lazy but back to work on it.