Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 upgrades

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Jul 28, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My 700R4 is going out I think. I'm gonna put the biggest cooler that will fit in there and Corvette servos and the extra clutch packs. Does anybody have a good shift kit? I have a Hypertech chip thet has a built in one but I doubt that anything would replace a real one not just computer controlled shifts. I already have a B&M deep pan but its chrome so it doesn't radiate heat as well as alum. so I might replace it. What else am I overlooking? The place I think I'll take it to is Eagle Transmissions which is a chain but I don't know if its nationwide or not. Also does anybody know of an upgrade that would make it impossible to be able to shift out of Drive into Rev or something b/c I've almost accidentally done that a few times and I don't want it to happen. Thanks in advance

90K5

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

My 700r4 went out for the third time. The best upgrade I did to it was junking it and puttin in a turbo 400! I love this tranny. Probably not much help to you, but I just had to say it, sorry.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I went to AutoZone today and looked at the coolers. They only had one in stock. My question is what is the biggest size that will fit? They only had the one for a smi or something. bTW if this helps the part number was 516

90K5

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I agree with 4x4Blazer, ditch that 700 and get a 400. I'm on the 4th 700 in my '90 Sub. Next time it goes out, the 400 that's sitting on the floor is going in...shouldn't be too long now!!! POS 700!!!!

ken

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm currious, my stock 700R4 slips every once and a while (for over a year now) but it has over 170,000 miles on it with allmost all of those miles with at least 35" tires. If it died on the way home tonight I think 170,000 miles is pretty good, is my tranny a freak of nature? If I go the 700R4 route again I will most likely buy a Jet or Art Carr, has any one had any problems with these companies? You guys that have problems, where did you get your tranny?

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I guess I should jump in and defend the 700r4. Between my dad and myself, we have had 7 different Chevy trucks with the 700r4, ranging from an '83 S-10 Blazer to an 2000 Z-71 Silverado. Three of these vehicles were work trucks used on construction sites and acquired over 120,000 miles on the original trans with no aftermarket coolers or fluid changes, or any type of transmission failures. At least one of these trucks is still in the area and now has over 140,000 miles on the trans. The '83 (with the weaker pre-'87 internals) lasted over 125,000 miles before the 3-4 clutch pack went out, though it was still driveable in 1st through 3rd. My '90 K-5 has over 100,000 miles now with over half of that running on 33", and now 35", tires and gets fourwheeled on a regular basis. We have had only one failure which was at around 40,000 miles. The vehicle never shifted correctly from the day it was new and the problem was eventually traced to a faulty computer which allowed a lot of slippage during shifts which overheated the trans. The replacement trans had over 80,000 miles on it when the truck was sold.
    In other words, I don't think they are that weak.
    Another thing that I notice about people who have gone through 2, 3, or even 4 700r4 trans, both on this board and around where I live, is that the original will last 100,000 miles or more, but all of the replacement or rebuilt ones seem to go out in 20-40,000 miles? I have personally seen a guy who's 700 went out after over 150,000 miles go to a junkyard and get a replacement trans of unknown age or condition, install it, and then go out after 10,000 miles......and his opinion was that 700's were just junk. Shouldn't this tell you that there is something else wrong besides just the overall design of the transmission, like maybe the trans shop didn't replace the old lock-up torque converter that wasn't locking up any more and causes the trans to fry itself, or didn't adjust the TV cable correctly which again will fry the trans in no time at all, or didn't flush out the cooler lines which pumped old clutch material through the new trans the first time the engine was started.
    I'm sure there are people who have done everything correctly and still have had a lot of failures with 700r4's, but I still think they are getting a bad rap.

7. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I just put a 700r (rebuilt) from Westrans. I don't know if they are just in Canada or not. The tranny was ordered with a shift kit (don't know what kind) and I bought a 22,000lb towing capasity tranny cooler from GM. Supposed to be one of the best available. The tranny shifts beautifully and with that size cooler, It shouldn't ever overheat.

I like the overdrive b/c I do alot of hiway driving to and from work.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

8. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

My 700r4 was the original. My K5 is a '84, so it had the weaker internals in the tranny. I bought it with 75,000 miles on it from the original owner. He said the tranny had gotten rebuilt once before(he didn't say why, so it could have been his fault). I have had it for about 7 yrs now and had the same factory 700 rebuilt 3 more times. Only once was my fault(neglegence). I'll give another time to a possible bad rebuild by the tranny shop. But I dont see any excuse for the other time. I also had a '89 IROC with a 700r4 that gave me a lot of trouble. Adding all of this together just left a bad taste in my mouth for 700r4 trannys. I have had this turbo 400 for quite some time now and I cant seem to break it, no matter how hard I am on it. And I dont miss the overdrive cause I dont do a whole lot of highway driving.
    And that, my friends, is my tranny story, and I am stickin to it !!!

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey 6.2 Blazer, to be fair, the original 700 in my '90 Sub went 119,000 miles, then the front seal blew out and the tranny could not retain fluid. I heard that the front seal retention is a weak point in 700s. We now have 250,000 on the Sub and have had 3 trannys since the 119,000 mile original went out. You're right, I don't think many rebuilders out there know how to build 700s. Is this because they're complex? Or that they are just a bad design? I dunno, all I do know is that I'm gonna stay away from them.

ken

10. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

A 700R4 is the way to go. A lot of guys who race in the Baja 500 use the 700. I had my trany rebuilt just after 80,000. The shop that rebuilt it uses Art Carr parts and says they are the best around. I"ve got 75,000 on it now and no hint of falure. They said to use a good quility cooler and change your fluid every 12-15,000 miles.

Don McKinney

11. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Well, before my 205 swap I had my 700R4 rebuilt and the shorter shaft put in (it was the original with 140,000 miles). Now I wish I would've just bought a new one from Jet. I have had a few problems with the rebuilt one and I agree with the others about the rebuilds, most tranny shops just don't know how to properly rebuild the tranny. My suggestion would be to buy a new one and run it for 150,000 miles. When this one goes out that's what I'm doing.

BIGJ

12. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

13. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

I have an 89 K5 with a 700R4 and it is working fine with 76,000 miles. Just in case I have any problems in the future, where can I get a good (New) 700R4? Also how much is the (Jet) 700R4 ? Do they have a web site?......

14. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Where to buy a new one ?

15. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

Everyone Ditchin\' their 700

Who ever doesn't want their 700 R4 give me a holler, I'll take it off your hands!!!!! And I won't even charge you for it!!!

Just post when you are ready

Overdrive

16. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

Re: Everyone Ditchin\' their 700

My 88 has over 165,000 on the original 700r4 and is doing great..although it seems from the posts here that it may not be long before something goes..all i do is have the old fluid pumped out periodically and filter changed....just my 2 cents....also running 33x12.50's

17. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Another problem may be with people installing a new or rebuilt 700 and not putting in a tranny cooler, thus diverting the rad. I was talking to a buddy who puts them in and said that even though you may try to flush out your lines that go to your rad, you will NEVER get all the metal filings and crap out that your blown tranny has left behind. Once you hook your new tranny up you reciculate all the crap back through your new tranny and voila, need another rebuild after a few short miles.

It made alot of sense to me.

Just my second hand info.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

18. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

What hoses do you need to hook the cooler to and where are they? Thanks

90K5