Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 - where to get a good one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89beast, Mar 12, 2003.

1. 89beast

89beast Registered Member

I know this question has been asked (I spent a few hours using the search button), but I still don't know where to find a good deal on a 700R4.

Needless to say, my 89 k5 tranny needs to be replaced. After 160k, 3rd and 4th are gone.

From what I learned from searching, I would like to get a GM rebuilt. But where is a good place to get one of those?

I also saw mention of using a GM high performance version of this tranny, and I think I found the one that was mentioned, only it's a 4L60E (police package 350 Vortec powered Chevrolet Tahoe). Would that work or am I looking at the wrong one?

Heck, I'd love to swap in a SM465, but I don't know which doner trucks to look for, or what I would need to do to keep the TBI chip and speedo happy. Where would be a good place to find that info?

I'm running 33's with 3.42's right now, would that work with a 465?

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You can get a GM 700r4/4l60 from your local chevy dealer. I think they are still around $1200. and come with a good warrenty.They have all the upgrades.

Or check out these 700s from:700r4.com They build good trannys and are resonabley priced.
    I highly recomend you get a new torque convertor and a good trans cooler to go with your tranny.

You cant use a 4L60E they are computer controlled and your computer wont support it.

I am pretty sure you can swap in a SM465 without affecting the computer. 89s have a mechanical drive spedo/VSS so you dont have to worry about the VSS sensor in the x-fer case.
    As long as the drive cable is hooked up to the x-fer case it should be fine.

3. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

I got this one from http://www.700r4.com . I love it! I was going to go Level2 but they talked me up to level 3 since it has the hardened parts. With big tires every bit will help. You will DEFINITELY need to get a cooler to run in-line with your stock radiator tank. I got this one from Summit. If you don't have a tranny cooler guage, you should consider one of those too! Everyone gives the 700r4 a bad rap, but heat is the killer of these transmissions and the better care you take of it, the longer it will last.