Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 with water in fluid

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, May 10, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I am looking at a 85 short box. the 700 is a milky white color. So is that water? If so will it die if i run it? can i just flush it out or is the 700 shot?

thx

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Milky white? Usually with SOME water it will turn pink.

It's a 700, it will die no matter what. (joking :))

I ran a TH400 that let water into it (bad dipstick gasket) for quite some time with no ill effects, but the fluid wasn't white. Wonder if it's a bad radiator or something and the in-tank cooler is leaking? Either that or some type of trans fix stuff?

If it's a good deal and replacing the 700 is an option if it needs it, I wouldn't worry about it, but if it's got to work, I'd be pretty leery of it. Changing the fluid in an "old" transmission is often blamed for failure of the trans. While I don't see that as being possible to prove 100%, you DO see a lot of high mileage transmissions fail after the fluid (which is probably original) is changed.

3. 84CUCV

If you change it why does it fail thow?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll likely hear various reasons, mainly though that the fresh fluid breaks up and circulates the crud that has built up.

I don't know as I've seen any official studies that came to the conclusion that it IS harmful, but I bought my truck, did a fluid change (fluid was black) and within 3500 miles the tranny had failed. Of course, that isn't concrete evidence...I had just bought it, (maybe 2-3 months of possession) so was something put in the tranny to attempt to make it last longer, was it already on it's way out due to age and lack of good fluid for a long period of time, was it abused before I got it, etc.

If fluid is milky white though, that's likely a different concern than old tranny fluid. It's probably some sort of contaminant, and while a little may not hurt, who knows how much is in there? It didn't take much water for my ATF to turn pink. You won't get all of the fluid out just doing a regular change, so it may take a few tries to get whatever is in there out, IF the problem isn't something else.

5. 84CUCV

I think its water because the hood was off for a while. The trans dip stick was broke, so water got in thanks for the help

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Here's what my t-case fluid looked like a few years ago when I changed it.:yikes:

T-FLUID.jpg

I had just had the tranny rebuilt and they resealed my t-case for me while they had it. They used a steam cleaner to clean the case halves and apparently didn't get all of the water out. dumbasses!! :screwy:

Rick

T-FLUID.jpg

7. 84CUCV

Guess it is water. that is just what it looked like thx

8. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

No problem. :D

Rick