Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 won't shift into gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by la_blazer82, Jan 20, 2005.

1. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

Is it a linkage problem or is the tranny shot? I haven't driven it since 2nd week of Nov., but have started her up here and there.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Warm up the engine , and then run her through all the gears while parked , then check the fluid with the engine running . She just may be low since she was driven before parked . Another thought is she just needs to be ran for a few . Good rule of thumb is if you are not mothballing the vehicle is to actually move it occasionally if she is sitting in a running state :k5: :k5:

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you are still having problems with it after doing what was sugested above your govoner gear might be warn off. It is behind the round cap on the driver's side of the trans near the back. It is only held on with a wire clip so it is easy to take off and check.

4. la_blazer82

I wasn't able to move it for two months, since I was swapping out the axles and adding a lift on the weekends. The rain basically eliminated 3 full weekends. Anyhow, I did warm her up to normal op levels, checked the tranny fluid, and all checked out. Couldn't get the shifter out of Park.

Triaged -- is there a tell-tale way of nowing if that part took a dump?

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you can't move the shifter itself, it most likely is a linkage problem.

disconect it at the tranny and try moving the shifter, also try moving the part on the tranny. a long screwdrive should make it easy work, but you should be able to move it with your hand, it'll be a little tough thouhg.

if its the tranny, youll need to drop the pan and see what is up. theres not much to it. if it sat long it could be that water got in there and froze.

6. la_blazer82

With the amount of rain that we got in SoCal, there's a possibility of water getting to the tranny, although it was up on stands. I'd rather it be a linkage problem, than to have to replace the tranny.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

stuck in park??

Try rocking the truck back and forth while trying to shift it out of park--maybe the park pin might have gotten rusty,or is stuck,like when you park on a hill,and dont apply the E-brake,and you have a hard time getting it out of park..:crazy:

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I bet your tranny has some slop between the gears and is getting hung up on itself.

the gears probably aren't meshing good enough to shift. does the lever have alot of slop? Try just forcing it. Your not gonna bust anything in the tranny. might bust the lever if you get real forceful though. Mine was hard to shift after sitting for a year but it loosened up after the first one.

try to Disconnect the linkage and shift it by hand from underneath. you shouldn't have to take the tranny out.

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have to press the brake pedal to get out of park, make sure your taillights work when you hit the brakes. The pressure switch that turns the brake lights on also controls the park/lock feature in most vehicles. This might sound totally wacky on an '82 with a replacement trans, (I don't even know if you had to hit the brakes to get out of park in '82) but it's worth 5 seconds of your time and it happened to my friend's '91.

10. la_blazer82

It ended up being a problem with the linkage. I kind of figured it would be that, since I had issues with it before. Changed it out and it shifts fine. Now I just need to drop the t-case or shim the axle to get rid of the vibes!