Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 won't shift outta first

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I finally got my 89 running well enough to try it out on the street. However, I quickly discovered that it will not shift out of first.

I tried screwing with the TV cable, setting it to all extremes, and anywhere in-between, but it simply won't shift. I can floor the truck, or baby it, always in first.

Is this a problem with the actual transmission, or what? The fluid level is where it should be, and its not just becuase the tranny was empty for a while, it should have moved the fluid around by now. Reverse and 1st work great, the truck has a lot of power, just won't shift :(

2. gauder

gauder Banned

I wonder if the tv cable is hooked up on the other end?

3. Russell

I'll find out tommorow I guess.

I'll rig up a pressure gauge on the pump diagnostics port, and run a few tests to find out if the TV is operating correctly. If not, I guess I'll be pulling the pan, and making a few adjustments to the TV linkages inside. Good time to put an oil pan drain in, I guess, lol! I knew I shoulda put that in two days ago when I put the oil pan onto the trany...

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

governor gear is the first thing that comes to mind as in VERY common. its a $3 fix. pull the stamped steel cover on the driverside of the tranny near the rear, pull the governor out, check the gear.

the TV cable not being hooked up on either end will make it shift WAY too soon, not way too late.

5. REDhot-82Blazer

REDhot-82Blazer Newbie

my frindes 92 f- body has the same problem and the guy he boght it from said the same thing

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

More likely to be the govorner or a stuck valve but don't screw with the tv cable. They need to be set in one place and that's it. Check out article 101 (top of page) at www.tvmadeez.com

7. Russell

Yep, I already know not to fiddle with the TV cable, and to just set it and leave it. I just didn't know how to set it before, so now I am gonna set it using a pressure gauge.

My plan of attack today is follows:

1. Check the pressure on the tranny, make sure that the TV is operating correctly in the TV bore.

2. Check the govenor, make sure that the gear isn't broken

3. Check the valve body, make sure it isn't stuck somewhere, at least that I can find.

4. Install drain pan, so I don't have to pour all my brand new 3 day old ATF all over my head again.

5. If it still doesn't work, install the valve body from my old tranny, and call her good.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

(Response to 3) You have to drop the valve body to access the valve that is moved by the TV cable. I've had that valve get stuck in the WOT position before. I think I drove out a small roll pin so that I could remove the valve. I then cleaned the valve and its bore with brake cleaner. Lubed the valve and bore with some ATF and then put it back together. Been working great ever since.

(Response to 4) If you leave 1 bolt loosely attached at a corner of the pan, then you can lower the pan on an angle and have much more control over where all of that mess goes. It will pour rather nicely from the opposite corner. :doah: It also helps to have a pretty large catch pan. I use a rugged plastic pan that is made for use when bussing tables at a restaurant. They sell them in a 2-pack at Sam's Club. :cool1:

9. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

when i rebuilt mine and did that, it did the same thing, i THINK it was the servo... take the cover off and make sure everything looks good. but then again that was after a rebuild, i dont know if yours was or if this is out of left field. good luck..

10. Russell

Mine is a rebuilt unit as well. It was in a truck and working fine for less than 6 months before the guy blew the engine in his truck. He then put the tranny in his basement, where I picked it up from.

So far I've gotten through the govenor, and just drained the oil pan again, thanks for the corner tip, that worked pretty well!

The govenor looked just fine, and if you turn it by hand, stuff inside is moving around, so it isn't frozen. However, I just pulled the little bolt for the pump diagnostics port, and found a bit of rust on the back of it... Might be an indicator of what the inside of the valve body looks like :eek1: So, I may wind up doing a valve body swap regardless!

11. Russell

Well, the problem is the valve body. Its frozen solid. I pulled the one outta my old tranny, and both are compatable. So I am gonna drop it in there, since it all is working freely. Hopefully I'll have a working tranny within an hour or two.