Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 wont SHIFT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Sep 19, 2004.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ive been away for a little while, but im still driving my K10(or what was was) everyday I have a BTO Stage 3 700R4 in my truck that I installed and did all the TV adjustment my self.

BUT recentally my dad bought a 91 K5 that is SUPER CLEAN and is stock except for a 3in Body lift /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif 33" BFG AT's he got low on ATF so I added about 1qt for him and poked around under the hood a little bit i pulled the slack in the TV cable a few times(dident adjust it) then he went for a drive and it wont SHIFT so I get in and put it in gear and it went in really hard so I though no big deal the TV cable is out of adjustment and the pressure is high... so i play with the cable a little even completely disconnect it hoping it will do SOMTHING, well it dosent... im going to check the pressure tomarrow hopfully, but do yall have ANY other ideas? the truck does have 120,000 miles but its never been hurt and it worked fine last time he drove it a few days ago also sorry for the LONG post /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

3 things I would say...

1. I say somehow you moved it and it caused the governor to strip out.

2. It stripped out on coincidense.

3. TV cable is stuck or something.

basically... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

My 700r4 did the same thing one day. It drove fine the day before, and one day it just wouldnt change gears. I am willing to bet that your shift modulator/governer is stripped out. Its on the top drivers side of the transmission. The is a round metal cap around it that you just pry off with a screwdriver and slide the modulator out. If the gear on the end is stripped, then that was your problem. Will probably cost ya about $10 at a local transmission shop for a new one.
    -Harrison

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

ok... and how do you change it?

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I just went out and took apart my old 700R4 I have laying around out back...i see what yall are talking about its a plastic gear right? also are those tension pins that hold it on? how do you take the gear it self off? btw THANKS for the help both of you /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yes, it is a plastic gear. Those are tension pins and you can take them out by tapping them out with a hammer and a small drill bit or something similar. A transmission shop around you should be able to sell you just the gear for about $5 instead of having to buy the whole thing. Just tap the pins out, put the new gear on, put the new pins in, and tap a drillbit inside of them (the pins are hollow) to spread the edges out so the pins dont come out. Thats it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

thats what happened to mine also, you think they would make it metal instead of plastic /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Here's my stripped govner from my 700R4.
    [​IMG]

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I got my 81 van for 500 bucks in 1990 because the govenor gear looked just like that--the previous owner thought the tranny was toast(I did too at first,but didnt really care--its easy to put a tranny in a van,and for 500 it was a steal,as it was in decent shape)--a friend told me to check the govenor gear,sure enough,just as yours looks--popped in another govenor from a donor tranny I had sitting outside,and its gone 46,000 miles since then,still shifts good!--I wonder sometimes if it will strip out again when far away though--something must make them strip- /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The throttle valve may be stuck. If there is any junk in the throttle body, you tug on the cable may have gotten it stuck somewhere it doesn't usually travel. Whether from conservative driving or a slightly misadjusted cable, the valve may not have been opened all the way for a while.

If that is the case, it will shift, but you pretty much have to hammer it to the floor up to the normal WOT shift point.

Any idea why it was low on fluid?

11. 84_okie

84_okie Registered Member

my tranny is doing the same thing, the only gears i have are park and neutral. I checked the govener and its fine, can any one else suggest something to check,