Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 wont stay in gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by racrxrm125, Sep 20, 2005.

1. racrxrm125

racrxrm125 Newbie

i have a 700r4 that i just had rebuilt not to long ago and ever since i have had the truck when ever i put it into first manually it always shifts out and into second by itself one it revs to a certain point. this problem really screws me up when i am off roading. i would appreciate aany feed back on what the problem is or if it is just that model tranny and how to fix it. thank you

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

might be normal??

I know some TH400's will upshift into second automatically,even if the shifter in manually pulled into "low",it shifts at 5200 rpm!..its a factory designed thing built into the valve body,once pressure reaches a certain limit...maybe the 700R4 is set up in a similar fashion?? :crazy:

3. 89newtome

89newtome Registered Member

i think it is normal

I believe this is a normal anti self destruct thing. My 700 does the same thing. Everything I read points to it being normal. I have been looking at buying this 700r4 ratpor trans. from Performance automotive and transmission. 700raptor.com. its built heavy duty and has a manual valve body. I havent found anyone who has heard of this trans though so i don't really know if it worth the money.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it is perfectly normal. when in manual first, at about 40-45 mph(in high range and stock gears/tires) it will shift into second. im preaty sure the reason is to prevent blowing the motor up because of the low first gear.

even the manual valve bodies have this "feature", at least all the ones ive seen.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Then I guess you have searched on this site. There are at least 2 people on CK5 that were VERY unhappy with their cRaptor transmissions. Do a search on craptor and see what ya find... :(

If I was gonna deal with anyone long distance it would be the folks at www.bowtieoverdrives.com