Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 yadaa yadaa

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Robbie6987, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

Im sure u guys are tired of hearing about 700r4 probs i have a 700 that is about 2 yrs old that decided to stop moving in any gear the fluid looks goo bright red not burnt. if u put it in drive or any other gear it will just sit there then every once in awhile it will kick into gear like nothing is wrong.
    Then drop back into neutral again or slip if thats what u may call it.
    Any one have any idea,s im thinking its the pump or TQ con.
    Im heading to Iraq in a week so let me know what u think might be the prob
    thanks Rob

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Its a 700r4 is the problem. Sounds like the pump if it sometimes goes into gear. But then your clutch packs are probably burnt up if no fluid was circulating. Ask about the upgrade kit, they put a corvete servo in and take out overdrive, making it a better tranny. Do a search here at coloradok5, lots of guys have done it. Kick ass over there.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They don't take out overdrive. That would defeat the purpose of having a 700R4.

4. monsterjim

thats the point, they make it a th350 with the kit, just in a 700 case. Makes it stronger for heavy duty use. Plenty of articles on it, just do a search, and its about as expensive as a rebuild.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 700r4 if they are built right and taken care of, they do need a cooler in line with them to make them last though. The first few years of the tranny were not the best models from the factory and had alot of problems, but those were corrected in later model years, but nobody wants to realize this, they only want to remember how much of junk they were when they first came out. Yes mine has recently died, but hey, i have 210k miles on my unit without a rebuild /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif and for the past 10 months i was using it as a route delivery vehicle. So i was putting some hard miles on it the past 10 months. also didn't have the cooler on it, should have, anyway, they are good transmissions, just take care of them. As far as "all the recent problems" the way i see it, the 700 has more components in it than the 400 or 350, more components means a slightly higher possibility of premature parts failure, but this can happen in any trans. I wish people would get rid of their hatred towards the 700, I would have any other transmission in my vehicle/s, well maybe the 4L80E,, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's attitudes like monsterjims that causes the th700 to have such a bad rep because it goes mouth to mouth. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

First off some of the problems with the early th700's are because th350 parts were used! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif The rear th350 planetary gears that are found in early th700's are too small and weak. I will agree 100% that 82-84 are mostly jusnk in original form with the 85, 86's not being much better but in 87' they were greatly improved. THe later th700's are as strong or stronger than early th350's, reason being why there are 3/4tons with th700's and no 3/4 tons with th350's. The main weak points in a th700 is the sun gear, th350 rear planets, lazy shift, out of adjustment TV cables, and letting it gear hunt in OD. I have all the late model/aftermarket/HD hardparts in place of the early original stuff and I would bet my pink slip on it that it is as strong or stronger than a fresh stock th400 with a shift kit.
    The reason that we get more "my th700 is broken" posts is probably nearly 50% of the GM vehicles have th700's on this board. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I do agree and also appologize for gettin the post off topic, and BTW the only thing wrong with mine are the 3-4 clutches are burnt, nothing major "broken" bought a used working unit, going to have the original rebuilt to top-o-the-line specs. Pricey, but worth it.

8. monsterjim

simmer down, I don't really have anything against them, I ran one in my 92 chevy forever, had it rebuilt twice in five years, but that was mostly cause of my driving habbits. You can't beat low gear in the 700r4, its just that for wheelin, with big tires, unless you've got gears, you don't need the overdrive. For an occasional off road vehicle, one that I could drive coast to coast with, that is the tranny I would want. Sorry if I miss led ya'll. It's only an opinion based on experience.

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    its just that for wheelin, with big tires, unless you've got gears, you don't need the overdrive. For an occasional off road vehicle,

[/ QUOTE ] Did you ask him if is just an occasonial off road vehicle? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    simmer down

[/ QUOTE ]
    I never even started simmering... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ask about the upgrade kit, they put a corvete servo in and take out overdrive, making it a better tranny. Do a search here at coloradok5, lots of guys have done it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sure seems stupid. If you don't want overdrive, just put the shifter in "3" instead of "D". Plus, I have never heard of this kit this removes OD, so I doubt there are "lots of guys at CK5 who have done it". There are lots of upgrades for it though, that make it a better transmission, so you are correct in that respect and lots of guys here have done it.

11. rjfguitar

He meant that the "kit" was a 3 spd auto swap. Yeah, I know... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif