Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LittlecountryK15, Mar 30, 2005.

1. LittlecountryK15

LittlecountryK15 Registered Member

When I purchased my truck my tranny was slipping alittle bit in second...but now it wont even shift into second gear unless I get on it....also I have to be going atleast 25mph for it to shift in to second, and as soon as I slow down and get under 25 it will drop down into first.

So I was wondering what would be the best way to rebuild my tranny.....I have a 14bolt in the rear and a 12 bolt up front...running 35's and Im guessing 4:10 gears at the least....should I purchase a shift kit..if so what kind do you recommend

2. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

go to jegs...buy very nice TCI Truck Master tranny...install and have a blast. but if u wish to go a cheaper route...theres not many. most shops cost 1500 to properly rebuild a 700r4. At least thats the cost i've seen. i found a kid to do it for 400 bucks, but im not too keen on his credentials.

3. LittlecountryK15

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Before you rebuild Check the TV cable adjustment It may be out of adjustment. That will affect shift points.
    Also check the governor gear. Your symptoms sound like sounds like it may be stripped. It is easy to replace. It is behind a big round cover on the side of the trans.
    Check those or have them checked before you rebuild it may save you a bunch of money.

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

what he said... could be the tv. I swapped the stock 700 out of my rig right after i got it becuase it was toast and put the corvette 700 that i got when i bought it in but never adjusted the tv cable... I drove around for six months with my tranny hitting 2nd gear so hard that with no throttle it would sqeal my 35's and eventually killed my 180k 350. I also had a bad servo when i pulled it last summer but i bet that was all because of the tv cable.

I've learned a lot since then.

Also, a bad servo could be causing your problem all by itself too.

6. LittlecountryK15

thanks guy........How would I go about checking the TV cable adjustment....and the governor gear....dont know much about this kinda stuff

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

there are a bunch of sites on it but basically....

take the tv cable off of the carb/tbi, press the "D" button on the cable(right after the bracket, looks like a black D on the cable) and while holding the D button down push the tv cable in as far as it will go and release the D button.

then hook the cable back up to the carb/tbi and force it open to wide open throttle and its set.

8. LittlecountryK15

thanks I will have a look at it this weekend :D