Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jumbo, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Jumbo

Jumbo Newbie

Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying I am new to the K5 world but have been an avid offroader for the last 10 years. I have been reading on this site for a few months now and the information provided is great. I just recently bought a 1990 Jimmy K5 and couldn't be happier. I have always wanted one of these trucks, ever since I was a little boy. Finally I purchase one but on the drive home I lost the tranny.

I believe it is a 700R4 but the old owner told me it was the 4l60e. The question is, I found a rebuilt 700R4 near by but I'm not sure it's smart to buy it given I know nothing about it. my plan is to throw it in and then Have the original built much stronger and swap them in a few months. I've been quoted 1200-1500 for the rebuild and the one that's for sale is only 500.00. I asked the guy a few questions and this was his reply.

"lets see there is no mileage on the rebuild.it has some updated parts but I dont know alot about trannys. my buddy built it who works for a dealership as a tranny tech.I will guarantee it for 30 days just so you can get it put in and you will know it works good and such,I think that is fair.it has new steels and fibers.a planetary and a few other parts. "

I don't have money to just toss away, my concern is that I might be buying a tranny that may only last a day or 2. What do you guys think?

J

2. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Check out www.bowtieoverdrives.com. I have been down the rebuild path myself and lost a couple grand because the local shop could not build it right. Your 4l60e is an electronic 700r4. I bought a stage 3 700r4 for 1600.00 from bowtie with no problems and great service. All they do is chevy. Don't take it to a guy that builds 1 or 2 700r4's a year.

3. Jumbo

Jumbo Newbie

I might do that for the long term, but for the short term I may buy this other 700R4.

Is there an easy way to find out if it's a 700R4 or a 4L60E?

4. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Not sure about the 90' 4l60e, but the later ones have a seperate bellhousing. The pan is the same, so you can't go by that. I am sure you can google for some pics or post a pic of what you got and we can tell you.

5. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

4L60E didn't come it until 92, so your truck came with a 4L60/700R4...

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Judging an out-of-vehicle 700R4 is like evaluating a lady/girl/broad from minute one, without her friends or family around:D

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

stock it would have been a 4L60, same thing as a 700r4, the factory upgraded a few things, and called it a 4L60.

to tell if its a 700r4 or 4L60E, look on the driver side, there will be a stamped steel cover near the rear of the tranny on a 700r4/4L60, also will be a 4 prong plug on the driver side. on the 4L60E, the electric plug is on the pass side and has about 12 wires to it.

8. LA90k5

LA90k5 Registered Member

I have a 90. I just had my tranny rebuilt and it is a 4L60.