Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by iwaxmyjimmy, Mar 12, 2007.

1. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Many of us have them, many of us have toasted them. Who makes a good reman. one? What about a good new one? What would be your choice? I blew mine on the way to work today. Haven't taken it apart yet, but Ive got a feeling the torque converter went. It has be shuddering alot lately (past 2 wks), so I upshifted it manually and problem went away. This morning about a half a block from work, pulled out in traffic and 1-2 shift went great so doing about 40 and the 2-3 shift just left the engine racing. So, downshifted to 2 and engine kept racing. The cheapest place so far for a remanufactured one has been Phoenix transmissions $800 + shipping, and for a new one Raptor transmissions $1150 + shipping.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

did you search? :D :haha:

actually, this HAS been covered quite abit:p: :D

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont know about those Raptor 700r4s I have no experience with them personally but i have seen quite a few posts here and on other boards with people having trouble with them.
    I would get either one from GM I think they are around $1400-1500 including the Torque convertor.
    Or
    One from http://www.700r4.com A buddy of mine orderd a stage 2 700R4 for his K2500 from them about 4 years ago and it still works perfict.

Whatever you do be sure to get a NEW torque convertor and flush out the cooling lines and cooler.!!!

5. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6. iwaxmyjimmy

Just pondering, but do you think I could get away with just replacing the torque converter? The shifts were still crisp and all that great stuff.

7. Alumbaugh

Alumbaugh Registered Member

Make sure to do the flush. My tranny burned up because my cooler plugged up solid. :mad: Guy at the shop said they almost burned up their machine trying to flush the system. Had already installed the biggest aux cooler I could find locally (was run in series with the stock cooler), so they just bypassed the stock one.

8. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

DO NOT USE PHEONIX RAMANED, trust me on this one, your getting what you are paying for, they dont do new bushing, and they dont replace sprags, basically your getting bandaid for a tranny.. they WILL not stand up to the warreny unless they install it also from what ive heard... Go raptor or just support a local shop.. aamco is the best in the nation right now and have the best warranty... tell them nate from aamco 19622 sent you and they should hook ya up.. nate

9. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am a Dealer and Was totally Taken by the local AAmco. Fu#$er ripped me off. I got a Wholesale deal and a shift kit for 1900.00 installed. told me it had a shift kit too and it does not. I do not trust any trans shops in the area.

Wish I knew about this site a year ago when I rebuilt it.

10. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that doesn't seem normal for a big corporation to do that...did you talk to them about it?

11. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

What about the crazy focker mad dog Lou?? His little commercials trip me out, I used to do a pretty good impression of him. :haha: He's on ebay.

12. Avery4jc

yeah thats another option...www.maddogtransmissions.com
    I have thought about going that route if I don't go local when I have the $$$ to get my slush box rebuilt.

He seems like a good guy and although I can't say from experience seems like he would stand by his products. Plus the money factor...might sound dumb but they aren't cheap and they also aren't stupid expensive...as said before you normally get what you pay for.

13. iwaxmyjimmy

14. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

theres more wrong with it than the convertor... If the engine is racing in pretty much all the gears you have a catastrophic failure... (ie. broken sun shell, broken input shaft, completely burned up trans, broken sprag (s) or more), putting a convertor in it is not gonna do anything but spread all that metal into the new convertor. Trust me, Take it and have it checked out somewhere professional, they will hook up guages and see the pressures and stuff and determan what it is... Nate

15. iwaxmyjimmy

At around 3500 RPM the truck will move under its own power. Today on my lunch break I'm going to unhook one of the trans cooler lines and put it in gear and seeing if the pump is still, well pumping.

16. iwaxmyjimmy

Didnt mess with it on my lunch break. Instead I'm going to order a rebuild kit and a converter and sent it to a trans shop thats down the street from the shop I work at. Any suggestions on rebuild kits?

17. iwaxmyjimmy

I've been reading up and so far I'm thinking about going with TCI maximumizer rebuild kit and a TCI "sizzler" 1700 converter. Anyone used either products before?

18. Avery4jc

what's the best way to pick the stall?

19. iwaxmyjimmy

Depends on what you want. I'm going with something a little above factory stall( i believe is 1200)

20. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I went with upgraded parts like the corvette servo, shift correction kit, .500 boost valve, and beast sun gear shell from http://www.eatmyshift.com/ Then I got a stock rebuild kit (all I could afford because I got it from the store I worked for and got an employee discount, wish I had done it right and saved my money and got an aftermarket one) and then I got a buddy who rebuilt it for me for $200 bucks.