Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dpearson, Jun 28, 2000.

1. dpearson

dpearson Registered Member

I found a 700r4 out of a 87 camaro cheap. I was wondering what is necessary to change on it to fit in my 75 Jimmy, short output shaft or what? Can I use anything off the 350??
    Just wondering, thanks in advance.

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Why would ya want to? I've had nothing but trouble out of 700R4's.

89 K5 Silverado

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

The output shafts are the same, the lengths are different. You will need to get a custom drive shaft( about $150), and get a non-lockup converter and have the tranny "plugged with a device" , this part goes on the drivers side on top of where the pan bolts to the trans, its a plug, 4 prong I think, (check summit in the tranny section)If you don't you WILL blow the tranny up, or take the tranny from the camaro with the lockup converter and the computer and put it in. You have a 4x2 jimmy right???? because if its a 4x4 the trannys are different...Also 700s are weaker(even 87 and up models) than a 350 trans. what gears do you have????I have 3.42s with a 700 and 33', it tachs at exactly 1584.39 rpms at 65 mphs, with a diesel no less.....talk about slow!!!

4. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My friend has one and he has had a bunch of crap happen to it...he wants to rip it out and get something different. He said it shifts so hard that you come out of your seat. But if you want one really bad go for it.

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

5. dpearson

It is a 4x4. I thought you could build a 700 strong enough to handle large amounts of torque. I need it strong enough to go behind a 454 and I would like to have overdrive because of my 4.56 gears and 36in tires.

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

With a B&M or JET overhaul/rebuild kit, the 700-R4 can be built to handle 450 ft-lbs of torque. It could probably survive behind a mild 454 but if your 454 is either bit "built" [​IMG], I go for a 4L80. It'll cost a good bit more than the 700 but it can take up to 700 ft-lbs [​IMG]when built right. Your other (cheaper) option is to go with a non-OD TH400.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

For more information on these transmissions check out this site, www.700r4.com. It should shed some light on the subject.
    The rest of this post is a little off subject from the original post, but.......
    As for problems with 700r4's, I've owned two different vehicles with 700's. The first was in an '83 Blazer and lasted over 130,000 miles. The 3-4 clutch pack was gone (wouldn't shift into 4th without grinding) but was still driveable. My current '90 Blazer has over 100,000 miles with no problems. My dad has also owned two fullsize pickups and one S-10 Blazer, each went well over 100,000 miles and the transmissions were fine when the trucks were sold. One of the pickups is still in the area and now has over 160,000 miles on the original 700r4.........these were all work trucks and driven hard with pretty poor regular maintenance.
    I think the 700r4 is one of the best performing automatics due to the the lower 3.06:1 first gear and the overdrive, and should survive just as good as a th350. The 4L60E, which is basically just an electronically controlled 700r4, is still used behind the new 275 horsepower GM engines.
    Heat is the biggest factor to early transmission failure. Bigger tires with stock axle gears make the trans work harder and produce more heat. Making it worse is that alot of people will always run in O/D, even around town and while pulling a trailer, and this causes the trans to constantly shift into and out of O/D and creates a bunch of heat.

8. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Best thing I ever did was swap in a turbo 400 in place of that ole 700r4 piece of crapola!!!!!!!!!

9. dpearson

Brian,
    Is it possible to find a 4L80 and drop it into an older blazer or do you have to have all the computer crap.

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

T.V. cable should also be adjusted correctly or you will burn up trans and get rough shifting.

11. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Tex

Someone else with more experience will have to confirm it but I believe the bellhousings are the same so it should be a bolt-up. In regard to dealing with the computer terminations, JET has all the parts you need to drop in the 4l60E or 4L80E in place of a non-computer trans.

Look for info at http://www.jetchip.com and prices at http://www.4wheelparts.com.

Just be warned that the prices are in the $2500 plus range but compared to the prices I've seen for just stock rebuilds, it doesn't seem too bad a deal for a nearly indestructible trans. If I had the bucks, I'd definitely have one.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer