Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by archer, Aug 19, 2000.

1. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I just drained my transmission and installed a new filter. It's a 700 r4. How much fluid does this transmission take after this service. My owner's manual doesn't tell me. It's an 85 k-5. Any help is appreciated, Also, I have the gov-lock, I just installed new spider gears, does this thing require a special anti-friction addative for the clutch-packs? Thanks for any help!

"who dares wins"

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

Why don't you call your local auto parts and ask how much fluid that it need. I am guessing 4-5 quarts and then check it. I work at Autozone part-time and we can look that up on the computer. I don't know the answer to the other question though. - Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

The exact amount varies, put 3-4 quarts in then get it up to operating temperature. Then place it in neutral, check the fluid. From this point only add in pint amounts (half-quart)at a time till you got it right. I'd also check it for several days, as the fluid cirulates you may need to top it off.

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Just curious why did you change the spider gears ?
    TIA

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

A 700r4 takes about 12 qts of fluid, total. (About 3-4 in the convertor). I would put in 4-5 and go from there.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim