Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Nov 10, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I changed out the fluid and filter in my 700r4 on my 84 k5 today, and noticed a little metal in the pan. (It was just about all on the magnet, fluid looks clear.) This trans. was built a few years ago, and it runs fine. I haven't exactly been easy on it, but It never had any trouble shifting, and the fluid always looks nice and red. What I want to know is, is it normal to find a little light metal in the pan, or should I get my th400 ready to go in? Whatever It does, I'll probably run it until it goes out.

2. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Some one might correct me here but as far as i know (mine is a 87K5) its normal. Ive seen the same once when changing the filter an havent noticed anything but sweet shifts. I do have a shift kit along with a bigger vein pump and a huge cooler, so go figure. If i were you id have it beefed up. 87 and up recieved beefier parts for the 700R4, it would at least make you feel better about it. Hopefully the rebuilder did the rite thing by yea.Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kamots

3. georgiared84

It was beefed up at that last rebuild. If the thing went out tomorrow, I'd still thank the guy who rebuilt it. I've done tons of crap to it and it still shifts nice. Never slips and hasn't overheated once. (The guy who rebuilt it put a trans. temp guage in the dash.) Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and still had good luck with theirs.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a slight amount of metal shavings or fine ganular metal bits will be normal. But i do mean slight amount and small in size.

I think this is also the clutches wearing and things moving. If it was CHUCKS of metal, i would worry. Stay on top of routine maintinence, don't tow in OD and make sure the pan is full and you should be fine. IMHO /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. georgiared84

Yeah, It's just small metal specks in with the goo from the clutches. It's probably been like that every time I've changed it, I just noticed it this time because I finally got a decent light to work under the truck with. Maybe I should go back to working in the dark.