Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Dec 22, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

OK. One last question about this lovely transmission. I'm being paid back for all the abuse I put this thing through. I'm pulling my 700r4 in a month to put in my th350, but I'm trying to make this thing last long enough to get the other one finished and finish getting parts. I just changed fluid in it and had no metal in the fluid. Put new fluid in it and forgot to put the dipstick back in. It ran fine for about 15 miles, but now it won't downshift itself into 1st when I stop. If I shift it manually it goes into first and shifts fine. The TV cable is set up right, and I put the dipstick back in as soon as I noticed it. Anyone have any ideas?

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

if the tranny fluid was full, I can't see that leaving dipstick out had anything to do with it!

3. georgiared84

Just finished reading a little more in the haynes trans manual and it sounds like a sticking govenor valve. I'll pop it out tomorrow and check it out. Any other guesses?
    Thanks.

4. georgiared84

Anyone else have an opinion about this? I forgot to mention before I changed fluid, it was slipping from first to second.