Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4'S AND WHY EVERYONE HATES THEM ON THE NEXT JERRY SPRINGER.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TITAN, Dec 18, 2000.

1. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

700R4\'S AND WHY EVERYONE HATES THEM ON THE NEXT JERRY SPRINGER.

I have to admit that the 700R4 is a long way from the manliest transmission in the world, but it seems to me that almost everybody here hates them. Why. I have not had the pleasure yet (although I am looking forward to) of running a 700R4 in a K5, is it do to the weight the reason why everybodys is cutting loose on them, or do you think that it might be due to the fact alot of people setting their trucks through the roof on a set of 44's and not counter gearing their differentials to handle the additional tourque needed to turn big meats. I have never owned a set of 44's although I have owned a set or two of 35's, now i understand that they pale in comparision to 44's but a little gearing and the truck performed just as if they were not on there and there was no added "strain" on the tranny, i guess that is why I had good luck with the 700R4. Shift kit to let the flui flow with a good filter and one can of TransX and they were all good to go, even after filling it up because mine were bigger than hers but she didn't need a wrecker to get back from the river. *LOL*

Just thinking out loud. TITAN

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Re: 700R4\'S AND WHY EVERYONE HATES THEM ON THE NEXT JERRY SPRINGER.

I flog my 700R like a red headed stepchild, The 350 HO hasnt made it blow chunks.....yet. When it finally goes for sure I will put another in but built up of course

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There's actually only a few guys around here that really dislike the 700r4. A lot of us run them without much trouble. I'll leave it at that, because ever time someone brings this issue up it turns a wee bit ugly........

4. moe.

moe. Registered Member

Welp, my experience with them is this, I have a couple friends, who both have camaros (3rd gen), and with the both of them combined, they've probably taken out about 4 of them. My brother has a 700 is his 87 Shortbed, and his went, but he plows alot, so its kind of expected after about 150k miles.
    I would have no trouble with having one in my truck, although the truck I want has one, with 127,000 on it, I'd feel much better knowing the history of it, if its been taken care of, I wouldnt think twice about trusting it.

The key to making any tranny last is keeping it cool (tranny cooler).

I've also got a 2004R in my turbo buick, which has survived around 128,000 miles, with many a' thrashing!
    12 second timeslips haven't killed this one. It doesnt chirp like it used to, but its still going strong.
    Regular fluid and filter changes are the key.

'75 Blazer blue/white
    350/350

87 Turbo Regal
    a few bolt-ons
    12.69@107.7

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But then there's the 700r4 in my '91 S-10. At 121,600 miles, it still has the fluid and filter in it that it left the factory with. It spent its first 100K in the heat of Houston and has been wheeled extensively across Colorado. Still going strong. At this point, I'm afraid to change the fluid and filter. Don't want to jinx it! [​IMG]

I did order it with the heavy duty trailer package that includes the oversize tranny cooler, so that may have helped. But so far I'm a happy camper. When a 700r4 is working, it's the best of both worlds. Lower first gear plus the overdrive. When they break, it's usually spectacular and expensive!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

6. Re: 700R4\'S AND WHY EVERYONE HATES THEM ON THE NEXT JERRY SPRINGER.

I bought my blazer with the tranny blown for $600 bucks,But my cousin owns a tranny shop!LOL I've got $350 in my rebuilt 700r4 with a remaned converter,for that kind of money and have od and a low first gear I'll never run anything else!LOL

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Get one from '87 or after and you'll have a solid transmission with an overdrive. Its nice not rapping up at only 65. I've had both and the 700r4 is one of the dreaded first generation models and yet the 350 crapped out in the '81 and the 700r4 in the '82 is still going. Of course I do have a goodwrench 700r4 on standby, shows my confidience in it though, haha.

8. Nike

Nike Registered Member

My 700R4 has 226,000 miles on it. Its in an 88 chevy 4WD P/U. I have kept the oil changed, and I have an external cooler on it. I like the low first gear, and the O/D. I will have another if that one ever goes. Thanks Nike in Mo.

Blue

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I started an entire thread on this a while back (I think it was called "how many miles did you get out of your 700r4" if you want to find it and read it).
    Basically what came out of it was that there were only a few people on this board who were saying the 700r4 was the worse transmission ever built, while the vast majority of people have had good luck with them. Another thing that came out of it was that is appears that at least a few tranny shops don't know how to rebuild a 700r4 properly and therefore the rebuilt trannys died a quick death.

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

OK, I'm still restraining myself!!! I agree, 6.2Blazer, that most shops really don't know what they're doing when rebuilding a 700r4. That and, if I may, say that 700s are a bit more finicky than say a TH350 or 400, pretty well sums up my "toned down" comments about the 700!!

ken

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Nice job Ken!!!!!!!!!!!! You get the PC award for the day (political correctness is wayyyyyy overrated!)

Tell ya what, after reading both sides of this "religious" topic, I still don't know what to do. I'll keep my T350 till it dies (if it ever does), then make a decision.......might never have to.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

12. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

WITH A LOWER FIRST AND OVERDRIVE THE 700R4 IS A GREAT TRANS. I AM A TRANSMISSION REBUILDER AND A FEW YEARS AGO I WAS REBUILDING A FEW OF THEM A DAY. THE THING IS DURING ALL THE YEARS THAT THE 700R4 HAS BEEN AROUND, IT HAS SEEN OVER 100 CHANGES AND OVER 50 CHANGES JUST FROM 86 TO 87. THE OLD PRE 87 TRANS WAS A MESS BUT CAN BE MODIFYED TO HOLD UP BUT WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS AN 87 OR NEWER. THE NEWER CHANGES ARE MORE THAN JUST SPRINGS, THEY INCLUDE MORE CLUTCHES, BIGGER PISTONS, IMPROVED FLUID CONTROL, BETTER SPRAG-ROLLER CLUTCH. IF YOU CAN GET AN 87 OR NEWER YOUR IN LUCK BECAUSE THE OLD ONES CAN'T BE CHANGED TO ALL OF THE NEWER SPECIFICATIONS. THE NEWER YOU GET, THE BETTER IT GETS BUT YOU CAN ALSO DO WELL OVER 20 MODS TO THE TRANS TO MAKE IT HOLD UP UNDER ANY BIG BLOCK. IF ANYONE WANTS MORE INFO ON SPECIFIC YEAR TO YEAR CHANGES OR ANY THING ELSE INVOLVING THIS TRANS JUST ASK. I HAVE ALOT OF INFORMATION FROM GM AND WOULD BE GLADE TO SHARE

13. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with 6.2 and extreme. I actually had this conversation with the tranny guy while I was getting my 700 fixed (which functionally withstood a severe swamping [​IMG]).

He said the 700 gets a bad rep cause there are so many versions of it out there. If you put the wrong one in as a replacement or don't rebuild the busted one correctly, you are gonna get bad performance which makes the tranny look bad (when it's really the tranny guy's fault).

Plus, it's the price you're gonna pay for it being more complicated with OD.

He also said to hold onto my extra (busted) 350 even when I get my rebuilt one back cause they are getting hard to come by now and there's not anymore new parts for 'em.

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

14. littonk5

littonk5 Registered Member

Extremeblazer makes some seally good points but also begs a question. if one orders a goodwrench 700 for, say an 87, from Pace for example......is it safe to assume that it will have all of the latest mods or are the mods case specific? In other words, should one order a '91 (for example) tranny to ensure getting all the latest updates?

15. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

litton, I think that it is safe to say, and I beleive that everyone here is going to agree with me. Never assume anything especially when it come to an automobile arena. Always ask, if whom you are purchasing the transmission from go's "Huh?" then red lights should start flashing. Not to say that there are not any honorable shops out there it is just to say that there are to many that lets say lacks integrity. In this industry there is no standard such as ISO or COPC for everyone to compare or rate quality. My definition of tricked out and yours may be different and that is where the screwing comes in. I guess that I got off on another subject. It stems from the previous post, you are correct most of the transmission people don't pay enough attention to detail. Every trans is not alike they try their dead level best to make it that way and their ignorance cost the reputation of a transmission and a manufacturer. This is not to say that there are not some of the 700's that well lets say are a little less that "up to par" but that is what is sacrificed to the expense and principles of mass production. So yes the 700 is a more technical transmission therefore the 350 and the 400 can afford a sloppy build and last longer. This not to playoff these transmissions as junk. They all have their place.

TITAN