Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4s keep loosing 3rd and 4th gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MattInMO, May 8, 2002.

1. MattInMO

MattInMO Newbie

I have an 86 K5 with a 300 horse crate engine. I have had about 6 700s in the 6 years I have had the truck. Most of them work fine for about a week then they loose 3rd and 4th. Does anyone know what causes this? The guys at TCI told me to buy one of theirs and hook up a hotwire and a vacuumn line to the carb and it will work fine. None of the 700s ive had have ever had any kind of vac lines. Are they wrong or have I been missing something that major?
    tanks, Matt

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

maybe the lockup in 3 and 4th gear. Mine isn't working now but taking to the shop monday, thinks the servo is stuck or pring problems. I thought it was my wire from teh brakes to vacuum switch to tell teh lockup to occur but finally rules that out last night

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Do you take it to the same shop each time for the repair? It kinda sounds like the TV cable isn't being adjusted correctly.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Put in a GM certa 700r4. 3yr/50,000 warranty. If anything goes wrong they put a new one in for free /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Work great to, and have all the newest updates, so they are pretty strong.

Dan

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

An improperly adjusted or unhooked TV cable will cause 3/4th gear failures. The TV cable is a major important part. It controlls the fluid pressure and shifting according to throttle position. It must be hooked up and adjusted properly or you will fry your trans in short order.

The guy at TCI may have misunderstood what year truck you have. The hot wire and vacume line he mentioned is used to controll the torque convertor lock up in non computer controlled trucks.

6. MattInMO

MattInMO Newbie

thanks for all the help, guys. I did forget to hook up the TV cable at the carb end. What company should i go with for tranny #7? The GM one seems to have a good warranty. Has anyone used a Jet or TCI?
    Tanks, Matt

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Matt,

Where you located? Missouri?

Neil

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

You might want to check out the <a target="_blank" href=http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm> Raptor tranny</a>. This will be high on my list when the time comes. And any good tranny shop, Chevy dealer included, will install it for $250 in half a day.