Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4's SUCK !!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, May 10, 2000.

700R4\'s SUCK !!!

Well I lost everything but first and second gear today while driving to work. I quit !!! My options are not good !! Money is too tight to be doing a tranny again !! AutoZone sells a 700R4 (rebuilt) for $980.00 with a torque converter, tranny cooler, and drain type pan on it with 12 month unlimited mileage warranty. GM wants $1350.00 for Tranny and converter( and yes the GM ones are rebuilds not new)3 yr. 50,000 mile warranty (under normal use)4:56 gears and 38's I don't think would qualify for normal use!! I have 2 bad ones now, I wish I knew how to rebuild them !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Re: 700R4\'s SUCK !!!

I bet you can do it, I was going to do mine, but I was too intimidated. Then a friend of mines went out and he did it himself and he said it went really well. Wasnt nearly as hard as he thought it would be. next time mine goes I am going to give it a try. What do you have to loose... Just a thought.

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i hear ya bigburb,i switched my k5 to a t400,you give up a little gas mpg,but the strengh of the t400 is worth it!!

BIGBLOCK MAN

3. Re: 700R4\'s SUCK !!!

I want to put in a TH400/NP205 if I could find one when I have the money !! Where in Iowa are you located? I am originally from SE Iowa (Mt. Pleasant)

4. Re: 700R4\'s SUCK !!!

If I had some detailed instructions and knew what special tools I needed (if any)I would give it a try. The next question would be : What are the 40 upgrades it would take to build it as tough as the Jet/TCI 700R4? Without buying there $750.00 rebuild kit !!

5. J.R.

J.R. Guest

bigburb,im in lemars ia,just north of sioux city on the tri state border.ia,ne,sd.i seen pictures of your rig,she looks pretty mean.these 700r4 just wont take as much abuse as the t400,and the t4oo is easy to rebuild and modify.

BIGBLOCK MAN

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Hey BB, I have a factory service manual that has a detailed tear down and re-build of a 700r4. It's about 15 or 20 pages of info but if you want I can make you some copies. Send me an e-mail if I can help out.

BIGJ

7. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I hear you, I had a 700R4 behind a 4.3 V6 that cost me 1700 for R&R +rebuild with all of the upgrades, I wouldn't touch an R4 without doing the upgrades, that thing never shifted better, had more power off the line and would pull a house when I was done, I just wish the mechanic who did the rebuild would have replaced the input shaft seal on the xfer case while the tranny was out, I started dropping a quart of tranny fluid into the xfer case every week after the rebuild.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've heard there are some video tapes on the market that show you step by step how to rebuild auto trannys. I think that would be a lot more helpful than just a book. Anyways I know how you feel. I blew up 3 autos in the Blazer I had in high school. THAT is why I now have a Blazer with an SM465...and I love it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

What is it with trannys this month? I thought it wasnt hard to rebuild a 400 either, but I sure messed up something. All I did was pull the guts out of one case and put them into another. It worked great for about 10 mins, then I lost reverse completely, 3rd is non-existent, and it will hardly hit second. I give up too, Im buying a professionally rebuilt TH400. At least I will have a warranty, and the $399.00 tag (incl converter) cant be beat.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

10. Re: 700R4\'s SUCK !!!

What is the difference in the TH400 and TH700R4? Length and spline count/size? I wanna see if maybe I can hook a TH400 to my NP208C for now and then later get my NP205 out of the garage rebuilt and installed. Basically I want to know what I would have to do to hook the TH400 to my NP208C that had a 700R4 hooked to it.

11. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I tried to rebuild my 700R4 with a manual .Transmission worked great , except it had no overdrive . Took it to transmission shop they couldn't figure it out and wanted to charge me $700.00 to pull it and take it apart to see what was happening. I had already spent $300.00 for the pump , convertor and rebuild kit . I pulled it and went used . For what you have spend the bucks on a T400 you'll be happier . If you need anything holler . Also there are alot of wrecking yards that have rigs with rebuilt 700R4's because those guys had the same problems everyone else has just check them out before you buy . The one I've got now came out of a wreck and it had just been rebuilt .

12. Re: 700R4\'s SUCK !!!

I am so broke I couldn't afford to pay attention, so my options are very limited. I may just park it until I win the Lottery!! LOL That may not be funny with the look on the wifes' face !!

13. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Burb, Burb, Burb [​IMG]....the Knight sitting on 312,000 miles with the <font color=red>ORGINAL</font color=red> 700r in it, crap its outlasted a 305, 350, and now the last 350 and I've wheeled the peeeee out of it for 1.5 years now, now mind you knocking on wood I haven't had any troubles <font color=blue>YET</font color=blue>, From my understanding if you can find someone to do the upgrade its a bullet proof tranny, I downloaded a buttload of instructions on how to do it, but its rocket science to me dude.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

White Knight

14. Re: 700R4\'s SUCK !!!

You have to remember I have a 7500 lb or more beast with 38's on it and 4:56 gears !!

15. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

Hey Big Burb,
    Check with your local comunity college to see if they offer courses in transmission rebuilding. If they do you can register for class and take one of your spares in to learn how to rebuild it yourself so that next time it happens you can have that beautiful Suburban back up and running in a couple days.
    Curtis

16. Re: 700R4\'s SUCK !!!

I had thought of that a few times, but I have to take the manual drivetrain one first !!

17. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Hey Burb its not as hard as you may think. It sounds like a worn out clutch plate. Get the proper rebuild kit with all the upgrades and most kits will come with detailed instructions all you need then is a hydraulic press and snap ring pliers. I have been tutored with a recent rebuild of a 700R4 and as long as when you take something off you bag it or tag it and set it in some sort of sequence of removal I always set some numbered chits with the items for easy installation. If you do it yourself and be patient you won't be disappointed and save lots of doe. Good Luck Gary....

18. BLOWING IT UP THEN !!

I got an idea, I was shopping for a welder to start some fab work on the Burb so I will just blow the Burb up into little pieces and weld it back together. That will be a custom fab job that I would have done all of the work myself. God this thing pisses me off !!

19. Re: 700R4\'s SUCK !!!

I think I have decided I will just chunk the 700R4 in the pit of hell from which it came and get a real tranny( a TH400)that should bask up my 502 BB I have been dreaming of for ever !!!!!!!!!!