Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700RR4 TO A NP-205 T-CASE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BILLY RAY, May 25, 2002.

1. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

HEY GUYS I JUST HAD A QUESTION. IN THE PAST I HAD A 700R4 MATED TO A NP-205 I DID IT THE RIGHT WAY BY GETTING THE OUTPUT SHAFT FROM A/A AND INSTALLED IT IN THE 700R4 SO IT WOULD BOLT RIGHT UP. NOW HERE IS THE QUESTION I WAS TOLD ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS JUST CUT DOWN THE OUTPUT SHAFT ON THE 700R4 TO THE SAME LENGTH AS THE TH-350 AND IT WILL MATE TO THE NP-205. JUST WANT TO KNOW IS THIS TRUE??????????

2. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

It is possible to do that. BUT, you will only have less than half of the length splines need for engagement of the coupler. In a SHORT amount of time you would be disassebling the tranny anyway. As you would twist the splines off the shortend 700r output shaft. I would not do it. Use the correct shaft.

Later Ed

3. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I'AM NOT GOING TO DO IT. I JUST WANTED THE INFO. THANKS ************ ANYONE DONE THIS????????

4. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

well if the only reason to get the aa adapter is for the shortened shaft why not make a spacer?

5. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There are a couple of different ways to hook a 700R4 to a NP205. The first requires a new output shaft from AA. I went this route when I did my change to a 205 because I had the transmission apart for a rebuild and I wanted to keep the drivetrain as short as possible. The second way is to purchase an adaptor that bolts on to the tailhousing between the transmission and the transfer case adaptor. This adaptor is used when you convert from a 700R4 to 350 transmission and should be found at most transmission shops. You do have to trim a small amout off of the output shaft, but not enough to really matter. Hope this helps.
    Layne

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

People have mentioned this "spacer" but no manufacturerer or part number. Some member(s) were even thinking of making their own because they couldn't find any for sale. Do you know a company that produces them?

7. K5BLT4FUN

I am not sure who manufactures it. I purchased mine from a transmission parts supplier. They new exactly what I wanted.
    Layne

8. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

PLEASE GIVE ME A NAME & PHONE NUMBER ALSO HOW MUCH $$$. THANKS

9. K5BLT4FUN

The transmission parts shop that I bought mine from is called:

A & Reds Transmission Parts
    2501 E Truman Road
    Kansas City, MO 64127
    (816) 483-7337

I talked to them today and they can sell just the adaptor. The part # 7Q35A and it sells for around $50.00. They said they could ship it for an additional charge. Hope this helps.
    Layne

10. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

THANKS !

11. K5BLT4FUN

No problem. Just a bit more info. You really don't have take much of the shaft, maybe an 1/8" at the most. You don't need to have the shaft removed to do it.
    Layne

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How do they shorten it? Grind, hacksaw, bandsaw, ......put in Cold water (shrinkage /forums/images/icons/blush.gif J/K).

13. K5BLT4FUN

A hand held cutoff wheel seems to work the best. You can also use a grinder. The biggest thing to be careful of is to do a little at a time to minimize to much heat.
    Layne

14. 82TOYLB

82TOYLB Registered Member

I just spoke at length with Terry Peters at Techpak who makes this spacer. It is intended for a t350 to 700r4 swap with a 208 behind it and said it will not work for a 205. He did say that he had made a prototype for the 700r4 to 205 and had it in a truck driving and was currently pricing bids to have it cast. He told me to contact him around the end of january 03 and it may be done. This is the manufacturing company that A and Reds Transmission Parts shop in KC gets there 700r4 to 208 spacer made by. I also spoke to A and Reds tranny parts in KC and they verified that this is correct, they do not have a 700r4 to 205 or 203 spacer that is went behind a t350. Too bad.
    Michael.

15. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Advanced Adapters makes a spacer as well as the output shaft. If memory serves me its about the same price as the shaft. Either of these to methods is the only ways to do it. I'll try to find a part number for the spacer.

16. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I have talked to a hand full of trans. shops and gave that part number to they and it is a spacer for the 700r4 to make the output shaft a little shorter so the 205 will bolt up. I sure hope they were right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The price was from $70-$110 are the quotes that I got.

17. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm not sure why it would have to be any different for a 208 or 205. As long as you end up with 7/8" or so of shaft out the back of the spacer, who cares? The index and sealing surface should be the same as the trans.

18. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

And the master speaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That should help you guys. I think the spacer would be the least expensive way but I used the A.A. shaft on mine.