Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70's Blazers - The next big collectors item

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skink4president, Aug 15, 2006.

1. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

Friend of mine mentioned today that he'd read an article recently claiming that pre-SUV SUVs like the early Blazers, Broncos and Wagoneers will be the next big thing with the Barrett-Jackosn crowd. Anyone else seen this article? I'm going to try and hunt it down. I'll pass along if I do.

Makes me question anymore mods to my mostly stock '73 K5:wink1:

2. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I can definitely see that coming. Maybe not with that crowd, but I definitely think these older "SUV's" (i hate calling my K5 an SUV) will begin to demand a higher price and become "collectable". Thats why I hate to see one "chopped" up. Trucks are a dime a dozen, chop them but not the K5's. I would really like for my next project to be a full convertable K5. Would make a good compliment to my '90 K5.

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I heard somewhere that blazers are getting more popular and are getting stolen more often.

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I've seen quite a few very high dollar Blazers up here in Canada over the past year.

Guys are pouring a ton of money into restoring them (because of the salt we're talking even 80's trucks). Their thinking is having a lux suv without the high cost.

I looked at one truck, the guy was a body man and used all the best panels and parts, it was at least as good as when it came off the line. He was looking for $10 000! I felt bad for the guy because there was NO way he'll get anywhere near the money he put into it.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

6. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I like to refer to mine as a MUV Multipurpose Utility Vehicle as the sticker says on the roof inside. I have been watching eBay and Government liquidation for 10 months now.

I can tell you YES the prices are getting higher for GOOD minimal rust no visible perforation. The average price for a good no rust 1987 is $1,500.00 for one that is near perfect and under 100,000 miles they get near $4,000.00 the highest I have seen sell is a 1987 for $5,582.00 it was in Oregon

The M1009 1985 running condition unknown on Gov Liq sells for around $1,700.00 if running I have seen go for $3,000.00. Also the prices raise slightly just around November on Gov Liq.

7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

:eek1: $20k There shure is some dopes out there. No way in hell I'd pay that much for an old Waggy.

8. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Yea those old Wagons are nice but I definitely wouldn't pay $20k+ for one. I like K5's alot better. My truck is not a DD (I have a company vehicle for that) but I'm amazed when I have my truck out and around town how many people offer to buy it. It's good to see the old 4x4's finally coming back. Much cooler than a new SUV too. :saweet:

9. jonny290

jonny290 Registered Member

I suppose it's a good thing I picked up my dad's '77 for 5 dollars this morning, then. :D

(btw hi CK5, i'll post more pics. I call her the Smurf.)

Yeah, she's in bad shape - needs a taillight and passenger mirror glass! :mad::haha:

10. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My K-5 has a real tail-gate...............so it's a Truck!!! :wink1:

11. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

oh awesome... as if it isn't hard enough for me to find deals on old k trucks.:mad:

maybe this will prompt OEMs to offer SFAs from the factory again.

12. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It's possible that it might prompt vendors to make oversized, heavy-duty fully-boxed frames (example) for Blazers, just like they do for the first-gen (66-77) Broncos and Jeep CJs. You can pretty much build a complete early Bronco from the roof to the road, without ever having a original Bronco in the first place.

13. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

That's a really good point. I just don't understand the lack of commercial support for our trucks compared to early Broncos, Jeeps, Internationals, just about anything. You'd think the numbers and fan base would be enough already.

14. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

I bought my 75 blazer just a month ago and just in time. I knew the gas crunch would be the perfect time. It will stay original on the body (numbers matching). Lol

I think they are a buy soon or forever hold your wallet in envy deal.

The style is right and build up parts are cheap…well whole crapy trucks are still running for 2-500.00. Crappy means the owner left it next to the house for years because they didn’t want to get a new engine.

If you follow trends they will go the way of the 60’s blazer but luckily it will be a slow climb so there is still lots of time to get one for a good price.

I paid $3500 for lifted on 35’s, rebuilt SB400, performance 350, 30 gallon gas tank, new carpet , hard top , New dash. I was the only serious buyer in the area.

I think fuel will keep the price low for awhile yet.

Happy Hunting.

15. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Look at Copper Head, that was built from the ground up. You can buy full frames for Ford and Chevy pickups from the 40s all the way through about 72. All of which are rwd chassis. Its only a matter of time before you start seeing frames for 73-87 Chevy pickups. I bet they will all be 2x4 at first and if we are lucky we will see some 4x4 frames. :deal: