Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70s model 350 chevy starter wont stop cranking, WTF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Oct 3, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it pisses me off, i go to crank and start up the 76 model 350 engien that i put in the 82 trans am and the damn thing stays stuck cranking and cranking wont stop until it either start up and runs or until i disconnect a battery cable, it doesnt matter where you put the key switch at it wont stop cranking its retarded,

wtf could cause this ? it has a brand new solenoid on it, this is killing the battery its not good at all

wth could it be ????

thanks

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I would double check that all the wires on the solanoid are not touching...I.E the main power wire touching any of the other ones...For starters..

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well thats dopesnt make sense that that could be the cause because if wires were touching then the starter would al.ways be cranking with battery connected, key on or off,

everything is fine until i go to crank engine over, then its stuck on cranking,

another words i have to turn switch to cranking position and begin cranking before this problem occurs

so t cant be that solenoid wire is touching hot cable post on solenoid

i guess a ghost is doing it

i was thinking maybe ts the igntion switch down low on column thats fubar and stuck

thanks

4. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

If I had to guess, I'd say that your new solenoid is messed up. It sounds like the contact points inside are sticking.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

probabvly so, im just pissed, i got way more worse things wrong than this solenoid to deal with in this life so just ignore the way i sound in any posts i ever make,
    this starter problem is just a little thing ive been needing to deal with too, its been killing my batteries, looks like i have no choice but to drop the starter in order to remedy this, the engine i put in the t/a last year and i just got it to where i could start and run it a coupel months ago, and this problem is new to the car, so i cantg see how it could be ign switch on the column thats causing it either when this never was happening before with the original LG4 305 engine
    that was in it.

its just a little starter problem, no biggie at all, just that im sick and tired of stupid crap going wrong all the damn time, its always something, i get pissed off so easily anymore and i hate the thought of having to remedy stuff anymore, cuz i know its always a pain in the ass now, it never used to be like this a couple years ago and before, i used to be happy to wrench on stuff, now i dread having to do anything, it always goes wrong and more problems develop,

thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You will probably have to pull the starter back out--check to see if the return spring on the solenoid is missing or broken,and the spiral splines the starter drive rides on are clean and not all gooey with old oil,if the drive sticks in the engaged posistion it will keep cranking,also check the fork that moves the drive,and its pivot pin- It might be staying engaged to the flexplate if it needs to be shimmed--Try the starter on the ground with jumper cables and jump the solenoid with a screwdriver to test it,so you wont have to suffer the agony of putting it back in to find its still does the same thing--I check all starters this way,especially "rebuilt" ones from discount auto parts stores-- nothing worse than spending two hours busting your agates putting one in an S10 with a V-6,only to find it was defective right out of the box. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

7. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I've actually had this same problem. It was on an old '79 LUV I had with a '74 350 in it. I had a remote solenoid on it that was going bad so I went and replaced it. Well I get my new one and hook it up and start it and the thing runs beautifuly! I shut it off, tighten everything up and go to start it again and it won't stop cranking, even when the enginge trying to run!

I put the old solenoid back on and it works just like it did before.

So, just return the new solenoid/starter for a new one and see if that fixes it. It did for me.

8. k5blaz

k5blaz Registered Member

my k5 does this to it's deisel so on cold morning I pray it starts first time. have'nt had time to fix it yet.

9. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Would be pretty easy to see if its the ignition switch or not. Its called a test light.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Disconnect the wire at the starter and make sure the light only comes on when you hit the switch.