Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

71 ammeter needle movement Q

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Apr 9, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

in the 71 the ammeter needle jumps a little towards discharge side when truck is off and when i turn headlamps on, it doesnt jump over very far, but its quick

it stays in middle of guage area right there,

does this sound normal/ok ?

just making sure after the internal regulator alternator conversion surgery procedure i did on it the other day

thanks

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

mine moves quite a bit. I just redid my front wire harness. interesting how these ammeters where setup. if you follow the wires black and black/white. one wire goes to the pos battery terminal(junction connector) the other close to the alternator/fusebox.

what it does is compares the difference in amperage between the battery and the alternator. there is an amp drop along the cable that goes from the alternator to the battery when your alt is charging or when the lights are on. to help you visualize it;

|-->[-batt+]
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | (amp meter 14 guage wire)
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    |-->[alt/fusebox]
    |
    |
    (10guage wire)

ARQ.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[hijack] Just wondering, is it the gauge in the lower left you are talking about? I always wondered if the one that said "Battery" was for amps or volts? [/hijack]