Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

71 blazer diesel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moira404, Aug 17, 2005.

1. moira404

moira404 Newbie

I'm new and not sure what I'm doing forum wise but I'm interested in putting a 6.2 diesel out of a 1988 automatic 1-ton truck in a 1972 four speed blazer. I need to know about pilot bearing, clutch linkage, fly wheel and bellhouseing.

2. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Hopefully the '72 4 speeder is a diesel truck too. Otherwise you need to consider all the engine operating ancilliaries such as glo-plug controller, fuel filter, tacho connection etc. Just a thought while I was browsing. Good Luck. Am sure the guys here will help you out. :D

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You need a pilot bushing, starter, and flywheel for a 6.2 diesel. Get a '73-84 bellhousing (aluminum). The diesel starter bolts to the block, and the original iron bell won't have room for that.

4. moira404

moira404 Newbie

The blazer isn't diesel but shouldn't the original diesel have all that?

5. moira404

moira404 Newbie

Will the original transmission from the blazer bolt up to the 73-84 bellhousing?What about lenth of the input shaft?

6. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Afterthought

Yes. But you need to rip it out of the original truck, as well as the engine and the wiring loom from the engine bay plus a bit no doubt.

Maybe do a search for 'engine swop' or something like that. Someones bound to have been there already.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Yes. The same.

You will need to drill out the two lower holes on the alum bellhousing or trans. For the iron bell, the lower bolts go from the the inside out. On the alum bell, the lower bolts go from outside in.

8. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Take note of what u2slo said about the bellhousings. Other than that everything will bolt right up. The 6.2 uses the same mounts as the small block gas. There is a thread in the diesel forum here started by a guy doing the same thing with a blazer of your vintage. You may want to follow that thread and do some searching there.

Your light years ahead alredy by having a doner truck that you can get all the extra diesel related stuff off of. Not that the 6.2 is a hard engine to wire up and run fuel to yourself, but its really nice to have all of the fuel filter housing/s and misc junk without having to fab/source them yourself.

Overall its an easy swap to do.

Oh youll also want to swap the diesel radiator in with the engine. It has larger inlett and outletts and it has the integrated oil cooler too.

So yeah.... Just check out the diesel forum here. Lots of good info.