Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

71 blazer

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENNY, Jul 24, 2002.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I live in nyc so that means that when i come across a blazer it has rust. ok i have an 84 blazer and want a 1st gen. ran across one in a lot and as usual it was rusted pretty bad. guy wants $300 for it. it is a 71 manual with 4wd,has a 250 but truck has 350 markings on sides, needs floors doors, etc much body work. should i go for it. if i do will make an everyday ride when streetable.

2. Rob71Balzer

Rob71Balzer Registered Member

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want one to fix up and call you're very own then $300 is not bad. My 71 needs floors front and rear amoung other things, but it is mine. If you are looking for one you don't have to touch then I would walk away. Just how bad is the rust? I got mine in Denver so we are talking two different worlds here.
    Robert

3. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

its bad but repairable depends on how much it will cost.

4. beenlookin

beenlookin Registered Member

Sounds like a deal to me. Just an FYI, if the windshield frame is rusted you will be spending alot of time looking for one, maybe even forced to have someone make one for you. I've been looking for a while and can't find this piece. Noone makes a reproduction and if you find a truck being parted out, they usually won't let you cut this piece off as they are looking to sell the whole tub. Even if the windshield frame is rusted this still seems like an offer I wouldn't refuse. Good luck!

5. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

6. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

rip that guys hand off with that title you could put 2000 in bodywork and have a perfect blazer for cheeeeeap!!! bought mine for 5g with a little rust so you'll be doin real good

7. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

my only concern is that alot of shops don't want to take on a job like this. they make their money on quick easy jap car repair jobs. I don't do body work. anyone have a friend in the business in the nyc area that would be willing to tackle this job

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good deal regardless of rust.make it a work in progress.replace body parts as you get the money.ive been replaceing little by little for 2 years now and it is mostly done.i did some welding and body work myself.it is not that difficult to do.just takes a little practice.when you are done the satisfaction of having a K5 will be enuf.300 dollars if it runs and drives is a awesome deal.where is it in nyc.if i had 300 id go pick it up myself.even if you part it out or buy it and resell it you could get much more than 300 for it.i bought a parts blazer for the top and other parts and then still resold it for 150 dollars.go for it and never look back.

9. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Kenny,

Boy I don't know what to tell you on that one....it really is in rough shape. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but that truck is going to swallow a LOT of money if you want to restore it back to good condition....so much money in fact, that you'd be ahead financially by buying a cleaner CA or TX or AZ vehicle and having it shipped or driving it home.

A restoration shop once told me that there is NOTHING more valuable than a clean, straight body on a vehicle. Sure you can graft-in lots of patch panels, but the end result is never as clean as if you'd started with a clean, rust free body in the first place.

I don't know what labor rates are in NY, but I'd guess you're looking at at least $3000 in panels and labor to get that straightened out. 1st Gens are REALLY cool, but they're not THAT hard to find....if you want a "restorable" K5, you might want to keep looking. If you want a "winter beater"....I'd say go for it. Patch a few of the big holes in the floor to keep the heat in (and the exhaust OUT) and call it good. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i cant really tell by the pictures.they are kinda unclear on my computer,but it looks better condition then mine was and i paid 2 grand.i wish i coulda found one for that cheap when i was looking for one.it does look pretty complete.are those new seats?like i said i think it is a good deal no matter what.but thats my 2 cents worth.the rest is up to your judgement snd what you really want and are willing to do to the truck. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

man i'm really confused now. love that style and well don't have 2-3g for a better cond. truck. I know it will cost. gave the guy a $100 hold on it but haven't taken it yet i told you guys it was rough though. will decide tomorrow which way to go. as far as buying one out west and driving it back or shipping it, I ve seen alot of trucks that weren't as advertised around here would hate to spend time and money on a wasted trip out west. would anyone be interested in parts off truck?