Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'71 Dart

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by angrysnowplow, Apr 22, 2004.

1. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

\'71 Dart

Me and a buddy just put a 318 in his Dart (originally had the slant six) and we're having a helluva time lining the motor mounts up. He bought the mounts for a Dart with a 318 too. Anyway, it's in the car, but looking at it from the front, the motor sits about 4, maybe 5 inches to the passenger side. We figured this has something to do with the slant six, but has anyone else had this problem?
    The motor and trans is from an 89 GranFury, and we used the tranny mount from the Dart.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: \'71 Dart

I think you're in for some more work. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Mopar used several different K-members, depending on the engine going into the car. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif As I recall, there's a small block K-member and a big block K-member. There might also be once that's specific to the slant sixes. If so, then it's time to start scouring the junkyards... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I pretty much agree with HarryH3. I also think a different K-member was used with slant sixes. Years ago I had two 1973 Dodge Dart Sports, one with V8/auto, and a clean bodied one with a slant six/3 speed stick. Someone hit the V8 car, and I decided to combine them both.

Anyway, I built a nice 360 V8, found a four speed, and an 8 3/4 posi rear end. I disassembled both cars, removed the slant six K-member and torsion bars, and swapped in the V8 equivalents. Everything bolted in really nice, and looked factory when finished. To do it right, yer gonna have to change that K-member, unless someone out there is offering some kind of motor mount kit.

Good luck on your project, I have a soft spot for those cars. Good looking sleepers, which can be fast! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

5. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Ya know another weird thing, the front end sits higher with the 318 than it did with the six. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Damn Dodges...
    He's gonna put my old 31's off my Blazer on the back to combat this /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    And Scott, I'll give that link to my friend, thanks.
    I'll see if I can get a pic after he paints it.
    Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's a torsion bar front end...just wind them down until the car sits where you like it.

I swapped a mild 318 into a 68 that originally had the 225 slant 6 and never had to swap the 'K' member. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Rene

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

darts rock that was my first car canary yellow one

8. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Put a turbo on the slant 6 and call it good. My dad had a Valiant with a slant 6 that he turbocharged. He used to run the freeways in LA beating all the big block chevys. This was in the late 60's but still impressive. The car actually made it in a few magazines. He worked for Garrett at the time and designed turbos. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

heres a 72 dartg swinger with 318 and auto trans new baby blue paint job and new custom dual exhaust and mint interior dark blue vinyl everything, all original otherwise including factory AM radio that worked fine sounded good for AM, original mirrors full wheel covers deluxe, all thew chrome trim pieces, everything, it was nice ride, my great uncle had it restored, zero bondo all 100% metal, i think he only sold it for like 2500, i got to drive it for a while, it was around town getting railed and beat up now i dont know wher eits at havent seen it for a few years, probably scrap by now, some kids were tearing it up, seen it with flat tires and some dents in it and everything one day... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[​IMG]