Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

71 hard top removal?!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnny71, May 22, 2006.

1. johnny71

johnny71 Newbie

someone out there has got to have a better way to remove and put back thte factory hard top then what I came up with. I will take any sugestions. It has to be done by one person "myself" and my blazer top is about 61" off the ground. i welded up a full 4point cover barn out of 3/8 angle with a brace running down the side at about 65" so I can runn a 2x4x12 across at 2 spots to drive out fome underneath. It worked just hard on my back I am almost about to drill 4 I bolts in the corners and tie it all to a comealong.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    got pic's?

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I am not sure of your storage or hoisting setup, but I bought 2 4x4's 3 feet longer than the top width. They were too long but I wanted too much instead of not enough. I picked up 4 very large eye bolts with 5 inches of threads, nuts and washers to match. Put the eye bolts on the ends of the 4x4's and hook up to your hoist setup. I crouch under the top, then bench press it up with my legs to get each 4x4 under the ends. It's really easy to do, then I bolt the top to the 4x4's and hoist away. If you plan on storing the top for any length of time, bolt stringers to it where it bolts to the truck to keep it from srpeading and warping. I also welded my eye bolts shut where they are bent into a circle for safety.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status