Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'71 Jimmy - "Black Taco" - Bit of an Update (4/5/11)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StevoandaRedK5, Sep 8, 2009.

1. StevoandaRedK5

StevoandaRedK5 1/2 ton status

Well, got the email from my dad today that the brakes are functional, so he is pulling the Jimmy home sometime this weekend.

This thread is basically a placeholder until I get home for the holidays, since I'm at college in Austin, and won't really be able to get anything done until then.

Here's some before pictures from when we picked it up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specs:
    1971 GMC Jimmy
    GM "TargetMaster" 4 bolt 350 Crate
    SM465
    NP205
    Dana44F(factory lockouts)/GM12bR

No A/C, Manual Steering, does have power brakes. All the trim/light lenses/glass are good except for the passenger side vent window.

Has an 8track AM/FM radio and a CB (antenna is still on the truck)

Engine looks to be in good shape even after sitting for this long, turns freely and the oil actually still looks alright. Will need a good going over and full tune up.

However, the big kicker is that the electrical system isn't working. A hot battery doesn't give power to anything operated by the key, so I will have to once again pull out the multimeter and start checking what has voltage and what doesn't. oh joy.:D:haha:

I'm stoked and can't wait to get back in town and start wrenching...i miss it haha

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Looks like a great starting point, even with the electrical issues. Although not exactly cheap, you might want to consider going with new engine bay harnesses. They tend to be pretty brittle and lead to all types of problems. I replaced mine in my K5. The under dash harness was left as it was.

3. StevoandaRedK5

I did a complete rewire on my '73 with an EZWiring harness, so if it looks like I can't just repair the existing setup, I'll consider replacing some stuff. Thanks!:waytogo:

4. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

grooooan. Just plan on buying a completely new wiring harness from EZ Wiring or Painless and re-wiring the whole thing. Any wiring that may still be useable is bound to be giving up the ghost soon.

Those old Target 350's put out around 250HP/280lb-ft I believe. Looks like it has a Holley intake and headers so it should be plenty peppy. I recommend using remflex header gaskets it the ones that are on it start to leak. I like the upper radiator hose hackery lol

The Olive green color has got to be THE cleanest color on these things. I saw a 1st-gen picture on this site of one with the same color scheme on 39.5" Iroks that was just stunning.

5. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

and here it is

[​IMG]

6. StevoandaRedK5

mmmm....that's nice. think the "medium olive" listed on the build sheet has less blue than that truck. either way it'll look sweet.

7. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

right, that one has a blue mixed in and the 'medium' olive looks great also.

Really, you could paint a 1st-gen blazer pink or neon green and it'll still look great

8. dfl701

dfl701 1/2 ton status

cant wait to see some progress on this thing! are yall still plannin on keepin it stockish?

9. StevoandaRedK5

yes we still want to keep it as near to stock as we can. I will be home in 2 weeks, and I want to spend at least a couple of hours that weekend cleaning it up and "taking inventory" if nothing else. :D

10. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

Can't wait to see progress on this classic

1st-gen's are ..........:bow:

11. StevoandaRedK5

Time for Some Progress!

Pulled the Jimmy home this morning....using nothing but American muscle haha:D

[​IMG]

Took some more pictures of it before we start to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics on photobucket - clicky

Gonna drop the starter to get tested, measure for battery cables and heater hoses. May try to get it to turn over today....dunno. still need to make sure the wiring is up to snuff.

12. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

13. StevoandaRedK5

Quick update:

I haven't been back home since that last update, and won't be there until the 20th. However my dad has been making some headway when he has the time.

Before I left last time, I cleaned out the bed and floors and discovered the extent of the rust. PO had some type of fiberglass insulation on the bed that held water and helped it rust in addition to all the dirt. Pulled the majority of the front trim to clean all of that up. The sad part: while taking out screws holding that weird screen/mesh stuff in front of the radiator, I managed to punch a pinhole into one of the fins. so now we get to pull the rad and either have it fixed or replaced. kinda sad.

[​IMG]

My dad has taken off the passenger side header, and managed to drop the starter. I'm tempted to just get a new set of headers, because this set is in the way of the starter/plugs/everything haha. I may try to get all the basic tune-up stuff to do on saturday, and if the starter is good, at least try the "screwdriver across the posts" trick to spin the motor over. maybe even get it to crank. I'm ready to get back to it.

14. StevoandaRedK5

We Have Power!

Okay well this evening I slid back up under the Jimmy and installed the new starter and battery cables. Dropped in a hot battery, and after checking some connections, etc., got the starter to spin with the key. Here's some of them newfangled moving pictures....

[​IMG]

and then earlier on..uh...tuesday i think, I polished up the front grille and bezels

[​IMG]

Small update, but I'm happy to hear it spin.:D

15. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Nice polishing work. What did you use on it?

16. StevoandaRedK5

some wet/dry fine grit sandpaper. started around 220 and worked up to 1200 in some spots. probably overkill, but it came out nice and smooth.

17. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

coming along nicely

18. dfl701

dfl701 1/2 ton status

good to see your making progress! bet it was nice to hear it start

19. offroadblazer764x4

offroadblazer764x4 1/2 ton status

I want it good luck with it cant wait to see how it turns out.

20. StevoandaRedK5

Dad works while the son is away!

Dad just emailed me these pictures, he's been working hard to get the Jimmy painted. Looking good to me. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]