Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

71 k5 oil pan gasket change...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Apr 3, 2003.

What is the easiest way to get the oil pan off? Do I need to take that crossmemeber all the way off? Should I support the motor with something? Is there an easier way?

thanks,forrest

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Support the engine from above and pull the cross member all the way out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

take the carb off, and then bolt on a "motor hat" many places sell em, but its very easy to make your own (if you don't already have one) hook up a chain hoist to that, or a cherry picker, and lift it up (be careful that you dont break your distributor cap against the firewall)

Here is the way I'd do it.

[​IMG]

3. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

There is no real "easy" way. You want to be sure to have full access to the pan w/ room to work, so take the crossmember all of the way off w/ engine supported from above. While you are at it, go ahead and replace motor mounts. They are prob orig. and it is a great prevent step.

Before you put everything away after replacing the oil pan, check for leaks with your equip still handy.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif