Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'71 K5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Puckhead91, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Puckhead91

Puckhead91 Newbie

\'71 K5

I've got a '71 K5 Blazer and am wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to how much it might be worth. It's blue with a white top...original paint with disk brake sticker still on it...85000 on the odometer(not sure but believe that's original miles)...it has blue bucket seats and the rear seat. All are original covers and in perfect shape...no tears or holes...It's a matching #'s 307CID w/3 speed on the column...runs perfect and been driving it almost daily...original AM radio still works...have all original wheels but not on it...it has the original g78 spare tire and 2 more of the g78 tires on the original wheels...original owners manual and protect-o-plate. rocker panels are rusted and bottom of tailgate has some rust but thats about it...few minor dents and dings on the body...the reason i'm wondering is because I also have a 4x4 4runner and am gonna sell one or the other. The Blazer is in excellent shape for someone looking to restore one to original condition. Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated.

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Re: \'71 K5

do you have any pics??? It could be worth anywhere from 3500-5500, depends how big the dents are. I had a 72 with no dings or dents, surface rust on the rockerpanels, working A/C, heater, original except for the rims. I got 5700 for it.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd say get rid of the Toyota 4runner and restore the '71 K/5 yourself. [​IMG] [​IMG]

...You said it's a three speed on the column... I'm assuming that its a TH-350 automatic with the column shifter and not a "three on the tree" manual transmission? The reason I ask is I know a guy with a '71 that has a "3 on the tree".

I picked up my '72 K/5 for $5,000... and it sounds like yours has a little less rust... but I bought mine with a High Performance 350, nice paint, and some other good stuff.
    So if you want me to throw out a number I'd second that about $3500 to $5500. Sounds about right.
    ...And Where are you located???

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Milage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    Ryan B.

4. Puckhead91

Puckhead91 Newbie

I'm located in Chattanooga TN and it is a manual shift "three on the tree" K5...I would consider getting rid of the K5 just for the simple fact that I really don't have anywhere to work on it at the moment and I have a TON of extra spare parts that I have to store someplace. I have an extra complete truck withs tons of great parts plus lots of other parts from other trucks. I also don't have any pics. Thanks for the replys.

5. Ryan B.

I think those three on the tree manuals are cool... My sister had a '71 landcruiser that i learned how to drive in, and it had a 3 on the tree.
    But personally I'd drop in at least a 350 or 383 to get that much weight moving, and a 4 or 5 speed, or at least an auto.

I think you could get some good money from someone who is looking to buy a blazer that is all original and restore it to original condition... and sounds like yours is in very good condition.
    But a lot of us who want the blazers want to customize and modify everthing... pick up where chevy left off. sometimes ending up far from original. But there is someone out there that is probally looking for an all original '71 K/5 like you got.
    If your thinking of advertising locally pick up your local "Truck Trader" classifieds or a Hemmings motor news, or something just to get a better idea of what they are going for in your area...
    ...You said that you don't have pictures, but i'd say snap a bunch of pictures and especially those few rust areas and dents, and run an ad on ebay.
    My boss has sold several muscle cars through ebay and usually is happy with how much people will be willing to buy a classic for.

thats my 2 cents for ya... but really i say SELL THE TOYOTA KEEP THE K/5![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Milage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    Ryan B.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

PuckHead,

Only 17220 Blazers were built in 1971....that makes it vastly more collectable (and interesting IMHO) than a Toyota 4Runner. How many 4Runners do you see driving around.....I'd say LOTS!!!

I am not going to give you a "sales pitch" on the financial benefit of one over the other....I'm talking about the "emotional side" here..... How would you feel in a truck that's JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE? (the Toyota). Do you enjoy getting the "thumbs up" when people see you in a 30-year old K5? I know I love it! [​IMG]

As much as we try to think of our vehicles in sensible (and financial) terms.....the reality is that our truck says a lot about our own identity, and personality. The truck you own also determines the "crowd" that you'll be spending your time with (both online, and on the trails).....I can't think of a better group of folks than this CK5 community, and I would find it hard to believe that you'd have this level of support and encouragement from the "Toyota Guys".

Like I said, this is an emotional response......but something else to consider. I hope you keep the K5, and stay with us here! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

7. Ryan B.

Yeah! What Greg said![​IMG]
    I'll bet you've gotten a lot more "thumbs up" or "nice truck" in that K/5[​IMG], than in that same 'ol Toyota that you see two others just like yours at the same stoplight.[​IMG][​IMG]

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    Ryan B.

8. kiley

kiley Registered Member

I agree with these guys. Hang on to that blazer. Toyotas are great vehicles and would be my 2nd choice for a 4x4. I LOVE my K5.