Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

71 rocker box tech

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thesaint, Dec 9, 2003.

1. thesaint

thesaint Registered Member

as a newby was surfing this site I may have learned something. PO had cut out the bottoms of my rocker boxes (cancer) I was planning on fabbing some trick hinged diamond plate floors (to replace box floors, not cab floors) to turn rocker box voids into storage areas. I have already welded some 1" box tubing btwn front and rear fenderwells (behind rocker panels inside area of previous rocker boxes) to reduce body flex and stiffen things up, especially when topless. It hasnt really had much effect. (in fact very little)

Do I need to weld up the boxes solid (ie like stock to get my chassis rigidity back?? (hinged access panels wont be rigid enough?) Anyone been down this road (common rust location in K5s) ??

2. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I would hate to say this but we are all going threw it now or have already if you look in the first gen form thier is some good info on this. I am doing the same thing you are kinda but I have a full roll cage going in as well to help stifen things up and Im then going to use some extra stainles and dez fastners to make a total uder body cover. I plan on keeping my origanal bummpers so I am going to use the rocker box area to make air tanks for my on bord air compressor.
    Earl

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Good to see another 1st Gen'er out there.

I haven't seen a pic of what you made but I can guess that it is just a box out of steel with nothing on the sides. I think your problem is triangulation. Any shape but a triangle can be deformed without deforming any of the members. With a triangle you have to actually stretch or compress one of the members in order to change it's shape. I think you will notice a huge difference in stiffness if you do this. If you have put them in already than I don't know what to tell you except that the frame on K5's flexes alot! I have rocker boxes and still can't open my doors on anything but flat ground.

Also fill out your profile so we know where you live.