Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

71 Washer pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Entropy, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Entropy

Entropy Registered Member

Hi all,

I have a beautiful stock 71 K5 that's in great condition. The washer pump is shot though, for some reason GM put it inside the firewall behind the dash - almost impossible to get to. My Chilton's manual doesn't cover this and I'm wonder what the best way is to get at it, or should I save myself some time, and install an aftermarket pump in the engine compartment.

Thanks in advance!

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The washer pump is attached to the wiper motor. Unfortunately, the best way to get to it is to remove the wiper motor from the truck. This is kinda involved, but not that hard. Remove wiper arms, remove cowl, unbolt wiper motor shaft from linkage assembly, get on your back under the dash, and remove the wiper motor. A 1/4 inch socket set with a couple of long extensions and a u-joint work pretty good to get at the bolts that hold the wiper motor in. Otherwise, a lot of people just use an aftermarket electric pump.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison